Unable to add Gmail to Outlook (Classic)

Anonymous
2024-09-26T15:49:59+00:00

When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."

The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.

James Smith

Arlington, TX

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T15:59:20+00:00

    I can try to do this but I'm going to need verbatim what to enter. Tried copy and paste and it threw an error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T14:21:17+00:00

    The only thing that changed recently was that the Outlook Team enabled the new browser sign in. Right before that was released Gmail users were seeing the error in this article, Unable to sign in or add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. The Outlook In App Team is investigating this issue with some tickets they got on the issue. I'll post back with any updates from that investigation.

    Something we can test is if somehow the browser sign in is not working properly. I have not tested reverting Office 2024 but this should work. Use these steps to put Outlook on the build right before the new browser sign in was enabled.

    1. Open a Command Prompt window
    2. Type/paste the commands below and press Enter after each

    cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

    officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.17425.20176

    After Office updates to this older build try adding the Gmail account again. Office will update itself to the newest build shortly. Or you can go back to the latest build by clicking File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-15T01:09:52+00:00

    This is the version of my outlook. Home/Office 2024. Also, gmail is set to imap and I tried the google Chrome as the default browser and tried to add my gmail account to outlook again but no bueno. The problem persists. What is outlook(new) doing that is broke in classic? By the way, we went to this version of office because Office365 originally broke outlook. Don't know what else to do. :-(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-14T19:43:33+00:00

    I did exactly the same thing. Blew the whole computer and when I sent to add the account in Outlook, it prepopulated it, so Outlook is holding on to something from somewhere. Incredibly frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments