Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Hi all,
Here is the official guidance and workaround, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. Please let me know if any issues or questions.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I try to add my Gmail account to Outlook I get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (POP/IMAP) server. Please check your email address and password and try again."
The new Outlook works fine, as does regular Outlook on my other computer. Something wrong on this one.
James Smith
Arlington, TX
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi all,
Here is the official guidance and workaround, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. Please let me know if any issues or questions.
The only issue we know is a problem right now is the one in this article, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support. Try the workarounds in this article.
If you still cannot get the one Gmail account to connect in the current classic Outlook profile try creating another Outlook profile, Create an Outlook profile - Microsoft Support. You can keep the old profile and switch between them if needed. Hold down the Shift key when starting Outlook to pick the profile to open.
I have the same problem but this thread will not allow me to access the support info. I have 2 gmail accounts. Both were added to new outlook but I prefer the look and feel of classic outlook and only 1 gmail account will work there.
Thanks for sharing your findings. I might go back and remove those prior posts because I was trying to find a short cut to work around the issue. Since that solution was not consistently working, I ended up documenting the all the manual steps and that is what I recommend going forward, Unable to add a Gmail account to classic Outlook - Microsoft Support.
@Gabriel Bratton - HOWEVER, if I deleted my email account within Outlook and re-added it, and then got the banner message about my login needing attention, continue in browser, I was then able to toggle on the checkbox and the LocalHost address still came up, but gave me the message that I should now be okay, try again. And it downloaded my emails.
So it seems necessary, unfortunately, to delete the account and re-add it.