Why is my 'strict' junk filter not working anymore?

Anonymous
2024-11-10T16:17:47+00:00

I have my outlook filters set to "strict", but in the past couple months spam from addresses which are not on my safe list are getting through every day. I've looked through my safe list, and I've tried flagging the messages that are getting through as junk. Nothing is working. It's making outlook unusable for me, which is saying something because I've been at this email address for over a decade. Does anyone know why this is happening or have a fix?

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-16T07:47:50+00:00

    I have the same issue and raised a case via chat. After going through standard troubleshooting, turning settings off and on, logging out and back in, the agent suggested creating manual rules to filter by subject or content. I explained that I didn't want to do this, as the junk email subjects were varied and I didn't want to block legitimate emails in the process. They replied with this...

    "We are suggesting you create this rule temporally as I have just checked with my supervisor and Outlook research and development team that I was checking with my resources and got to know that this is a general emerging issue affecting all Microsoft customers. Microsoft Engineers are working Tooth and Nail to provide a solution to this issue. Be rest assured that this is a top priority and will be resolved as soon as possible.We apologize for the inconvenient and appreciate your patience. We will keep you posted once fix is deployed."

    So looks like a known issue that MS are working on. I asked about a timescale for a fix and they couldn't provide one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T13:40:51+00:00

    I'm having the same problem, And it doesn't matter if I mark them as spam, they still come into my inbox. There's definitely something that's not working right with the junk filter. This has happened to me before. I'm not sure if it's an Outlook issue or a Hotmail issue. It usually resolves after about a week, but I think this has been going on now since at least the start of November.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T14:13:50+00:00

    Agreed. Junk filtering has not been working properly for a month or two.

    Getting MS to acknowledge the issue and do something about it, is like banging your head against the wall. 😅

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-13T09:34:18+00:00

    This does not work for me, emails that should be filtered into junk are going straight into my inbox.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-31T10:27:26+00:00

    This is how rule looks like and it worked for me:

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments