My account has been hacked and subsequently locked - can I speak to someone to have it unlocked?

Anonymous
2024-08-27T13:22:20+00:00

Dear Microsoft Community,

I was on holiday earlier this month and made the mistake to logging into an unsecure WiFi. The result of this is that my email account was hacked and used to violate Skype's T&C's.

As a result of the above my email account has been locked.

I have tried on numerous occasions to have my account unlocked, however my appeal has been unsuccessful every time...I've attached a copy of the latest response from Microsoft. Other messages from Microsoft have stated that they can not verify my identity....I have offered to send a copy of my passport in order to verify who I am.

I have also written a letter to Ms. Clare Barclay, CEO, Microsoft UK in an effort to get help, however to no avail.

I have used my email account satisfactorily for c20 years, however this seems to account for little.

Can you please help me?

Thank you

Mark king

Hello,   We’ve reviewed your appeal and the results are as follows:Policy violated:   Abuse of our Platform and ServicesMicrosoft system used:  SkypeDate of appeal:  2024-08-26Appeal results: Violation confirmed (Decision upheld)Microsoft’s content and conduct policies help promote a positive and safe experience for users by explaining what behaviors and content are not allowed on our services. www.microsoft.com/digitalsafety/policiesEuropean Union citizens only: Should any appeal you submit to Microsoft not be resolved, you are entitled to select any out-of-court dispute settlement body within the European Union that has been certified by the Digital Services Coordinator of the European Union Member State where the settlement body is established to resolve such dispute. Read more here.Thank you for your feedback.Ref:MSG18270125_IATtPGKvrsBp59lup71

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T09:16:08+00:00

    I have managed to get access back!

    The process was incredibly frustrating.

    The way to approach it is to understand that the operators cannot just unlock it. They have no control.

    They take the info you provide and use it as a key of sorts. And if what you give isn't correct, they won't let you in.

    Mine was held up due to an old credit card i used in 2020 for a free trial. I needed to give them the last 4 digits and expiry.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T09:19:13+00:00

    Hi Helen

    Have you tried the validation form?

    I completed the form multiple times, and kept chatting with agents on the Web chat. Finally it was escalated.

    Then I went back and forth with about 20 emails . And finally it was fixed.

    Absolutely crazy process.

    They end up acknowledging that they know its my account, but they need the info to open the account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T09:21:39+00:00

    Also what helped me was I had the old emails still on my phone. While I wasn't receiving any new ones, I could see my inbox and sent items of old emails. So I could use that info.

    I then got the IP addresses of home and work wifi and added my card details

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T10:39:56+00:00

    Thanks Johnny Boy.

    That's really helpful and good to know. I guess I'll just keep sending messages, filling out the form etc and hope it eventually gets sorted. Thankfully I can also still see my messages on my phone and am actually receiving messages too but can't send or forward anything but I will need to get a new phone at some point and I really need my access back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-09T11:02:18+00:00

    You'll get it back. It's just frustrating in-between

    You need your case referred to the escalation team.

    The email i was communicating with was

    microsoftescalationsupport£microsoftsupport.com

    Also, I had most success when I kept answer short. I tried to make them correct, rather than bombard with information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments