My account has been hacked and subsequently locked - can I speak to someone to have it unlocked?

Anonymous
2024-08-27T13:22:20+00:00

Dear Microsoft Community,

I was on holiday earlier this month and made the mistake to logging into an unsecure WiFi. The result of this is that my email account was hacked and used to violate Skype's T&C's.

As a result of the above my email account has been locked.

I have tried on numerous occasions to have my account unlocked, however my appeal has been unsuccessful every time...I've attached a copy of the latest response from Microsoft. Other messages from Microsoft have stated that they can not verify my identity....I have offered to send a copy of my passport in order to verify who I am.

I have also written a letter to Ms. Clare Barclay, CEO, Microsoft UK in an effort to get help, however to no avail.

I have used my email account satisfactorily for c20 years, however this seems to account for little.

Can you please help me?

Thank you

Mark king

Hello,   We’ve reviewed your appeal and the results are as follows:Policy violated:   Abuse of our Platform and ServicesMicrosoft system used:  SkypeDate of appeal:  2024-08-26Appeal results: Violation confirmed (Decision upheld)Microsoft’s content and conduct policies help promote a positive and safe experience for users by explaining what behaviors and content are not allowed on our services. www.microsoft.com/digitalsafety/policiesEuropean Union citizens only: Should any appeal you submit to Microsoft not be resolved, you are entitled to select any out-of-court dispute settlement body within the European Union that has been certified by the Digital Services Coordinator of the European Union Member State where the settlement body is established to resolve such dispute. Read more here.Thank you for your feedback.Ref:MSG18270125_IATtPGKvrsBp59lup71

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Account management, security, and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-15T20:14:55+00:00

    I made my third attempt over Web Chat and they are simply useless with no power to escalate my case to the right team. I guess we all need to flood their system with reinstatement requests so they know of the problem on their side.

    Not sure if there's a channel to take a legal action on my side but as I have paid for Microsoft 365 there might be a ground to have it raised and claim my access back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-15T08:45:32+00:00

    I have been in touch with the Information Commissioner's Office (an Ombudsman here in the UK). They said that I have rights to my personal data (ie the files on OneDrive and my emails). Their suggestion was to contact the data protection officer (dpoffice&microsoft.com). I have done this and had no response. I have since lodged another online request to get the account opened and not had a response yet (the first few came back with decision upheld within 12 hours). The ICO said that if I don't get a satisfactory response from emailing the data protection officer then they will take up my claim. Not sure if there is something similar in your region?

    I am still going to keep trying on the online chat (waiting to speak to someone now) and lodging forms though in the meantime.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-15T08:03:31+00:00

    Yeh thats a good option then

    It's madness

    Eventually I received an email from Microsoft escalation.

    Which was then further frustration but at least dealt with a human

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-15T03:13:15+00:00

    This is really testing my patience...

    I had a web chat session for nearly 30mins with a so called support agent who clearly didn't even understand the question and asked me to submit an appeal again! I repeated myself a few times that the appeal has been been rejected and the decision is "upheld". He promised someone would call me in an hour or two which didn't happen.

    I have paid MS for office and OneDrive and I guess we probably need to take a legal action against them for not providing the service we have paid for.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-14T20:06:50+00:00

    I am also in Australia and there is a complaints team that I sent daily feedback too. Never heard back from them tho..but it perhaps helped.

    I also contacted the exec on this link.

    Majority of them bounced.

    But a few didn't.

    I heard back straight after so hard to tell if coincidence or it worked.

    I sent individual emails.instesd if grouped so it wasn't flagged as spam

    I was also respectful. It's not their fault.

    And I didn't want to make enemies

    https://forums.windowscentral.com/threads/does-anyone-have-contact-information-for-microsoft-executives.475316/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments