New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Anonymous
2023-11-03T02:24:43+00:00

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

  1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.
  2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.
  3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible
Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-17T10:19:06+00:00

    But how do I get back the desktop version of outlook to my windows 11, together with my Microsoft 365 plan?

    Wherever I look I just get info on how to (re)install Microsoft 365, and in that package only installs the "new Outlook" or "classic Oulook" not the full desktop version.

    Hi Ola!

    “Classic Outlook” is the full desktop version; they just renamed it to make a more clear distinction between it, and the New Outlook.

    So Classic Outlook is what you’re looking for :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T08:57:47+00:00

    Thanks Justin, I will try it once more, but so far when I pressed the button "revert to classic outlook" (or whatever it is named) I seems to get an equally limited email client, with the same look and feel as the new outlook.

    Microsoft seems to refer to another email client that is included "for free" and here the new Outlook should be an improvment. So I am thinking that when I revert to classic I get that free limited email client. Am I correct? In same context they refer to the apps "E-mail" and "Kontakter" (Contacts), and that new Outlook should handle both. Again showing that there is a very basic email client and the full desktop client.

    I will get back with results from my reverting to classic.

    Another issue is that they write that the classic outlook will stop working during 2024.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T09:20:51+00:00

    Justin, now I managed to start some kind of classic outlook. The revert button in "new outlook" did not work, "file not found". On windows start menu I found Outlook(classic) tried that. I still have a feeling that this is a very limited version compared to what I had before, things like signatures, send later etc. seems to just not be there.

    Version number etc is seen in screenshot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T10:27:25+00:00

    That appears to be the full Desktop app to me based on your screenshot. Signatures and Send Later should definitely be there, as those features are in both the Classic Outlook as well as the New Outlook for that matter.

    Microsoft does however make changes to the interface of the Classic Outlook on a regular basis, so it could simply be that what you’re looking for is in a different place.

    For instance, now by default they show a simplified ribbon in Classic Outlook that hides most of the more advanced features by default. The full ribbon interface is still available however. I’d just do a quick YouTube search for disabling the simplified ribbon in Microsoft outlook to find some step by step instructions.

    As for the date the Classic Outlook is supposed to be discontinued, supposedly that won’t happen until 2029 so you should still have at least 5 more years with it - it won’t be going away right away :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-23T08:48:21+00:00

    Thanks Justin, finally I understood why I could not understand if I had a very limited version of outlook or not. The simplified ribbon tricked me into thinking all advances features where missing.

    I will go back to classic outlook to see if I will be happy with that version. What is the good things in new Outlook?

    For new outlook, do you have any info on why there should be (microsoft help pages, forum posts, youtube) a button during setup of an account to "sync directly with server", but at least for me in Sweden there is none, so you have to sync everything with Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments