New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Anonymous
2023-11-03T02:24:43+00:00

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

  1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.
  2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.
  3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible
Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-23T09:38:57+00:00

    What is the good things in new Outlook?

    For new outlook, do you have any info on why there should be (microsoft help pages, forum posts, youtube) a button during setup of an account to "sync directly with server", but at least for me in Sweden there is none, so you have to sync everything with Microsoft?

    The best way I can think of to answer your question is to explain the core differences between Classic Outlook and the New Outlook.

    Classic Outlook is an installed email client that runs on your computer.

    (This is the same traditional program we’ve called Outlook for years, just with a new name in order to better differentiate it with the New Outlook)

    New Outlook is a front end to Microsoft cloud services, primarily Microsoft 365.

    Even though both are installed on your computer, the New Outlook is essentially just a web browser with some additional bells and whistles. For instance, when connected to. Microsoft 365 email account and it sees its running via the New Outlook (and not just in a regular web browser) the Microsoft 365 cloud service is able to use those bells and whistles to add features you wouldn’t be able to normally get from just a web app. For instance, importing of PSTs, offline email, etc.

    But the important thing to remember is that regardless, it is not an email client that exists on your computer in that traditional sense. It is a cloud service provided by Microsoft that happens to have an icon on your computer along side your other installed applications.

    This is a gross oversimplification, btw.

    The “bells and whistles” part of the web browser that is “New Outlook” are getting more and more advanced with each update…. So much so that the line is getting blurred between what part of New Outlook is a cloud service, and what part is fully running locally on your computer.

    More and more of it is running locally on your computer, which makes it become closer to what you or I would deem a traditional email client. But no matter how close it gets to being a traditional email client, at its core, it will always be just bells and whistles on top of a Microsoft cloud service.

    I don’t know if this answers your question or not, but hopefully it does :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments