New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Anonymous
2023-11-03T02:24:43+00:00

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

  1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.
  2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.
  3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible
Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T18:34:33+00:00

    Windows Update --> Microsoft Update will update perpetual MSI versions of Office such as Office 2016.

    For M365 Perpetual and Subscription, updates are automatic but can be initiated from Classic Outlook by clicking File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now. I see from time to time that the Update button shows an update is available but if you check Update History you already have the latest build for the Office Channel, Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps (listed by date) - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn.

    For New Outlook updates happen automatically but you can force an update if it's not updating for any reason. Right click the Windows Start button and click Run and put this command in the Run box and click OK: olk.exe --force-update

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T17:06:42+00:00

    hummm....

    So even though I have Update set to "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows"....

    It actually does nothing! Good to know.

    Right now I am attempting to update Microsoft 365 .... it says it is "downloading" and has been for 10 min or so..... BUT when I look as Task manager there is zero network traffic. Ditto detailed view in resource manager.

    For reference I am sitting behind 1.2Gb/sec internet connection and connected via WiFi at 144Mb/s!

    It is just sad how painfully bad MS software development has become. I guess all the "smart" guys are over working on AI etc....

    If I was a MS Product manager I would monitor answers.microsoft.com like a hawk!

    End Rant

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T11:55:49+00:00

    Lee,

    To create a new Outlook profile and add a Gmail account use the steps in this article, Create an Outlook profile - Microsoft Support. We just updated the article because the Mail applet does not support modern auth. Classic Outlook connects to Gmail with OAuth/Modern Auth.

    On the prior page it showed your Outlook version which appears out of date. You are on Current Channel so it should be on Version 2404 Build

    17531.20128, Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps (listed by date) - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn. From Outlook click File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now to manually update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T09:49:59+00:00

    I am sorry to say but, get yourself Firefox.

    So easy to use.

    I came to Outlook but it just does not have the same easy functionality.

    No email rules on the "New Outlook". Really?

    When I open an attachment, no option of where I want to save it. Why?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-25T10:44:26+00:00

    I realize this thread started several months ago, but I wanted to add in one additional suggestion for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

    When attempting to create a fresh Microsoft Outlook (classic) profile, if you run into trouble instead of creating that profile using either of the Outlook software, or the mail control panel, another option is to use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA).

    This free tool from Microsoft can diagnose and resolve many problems across the Microsoft 365 (Office) suite. One of the options it has is to assist with creating a new outlook profile. And it seems to do some thing that none of the other manual methods can do because whenever I run into problems, somehow this can fix it.

    Here’s the link:

    https://aka.ms/SaRASetup

    I hope this helps someone!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments