New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Anonymous
2023-11-03T02:24:43+00:00

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

  1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.
  2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.
  3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible
Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-04T00:45:29+00:00

    If you are configurig an Outlook.cm account, may I ask why you are trying to

    a) set it up manuallu instead of just entering the email address / password for the accoimt? b( trying to set it up as an IMAP account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-04T00:20:21+00:00

    Hello again

    Note-I have erased personal info in the pics below. They ere entered as required.

    I tried to create a new profile 1st

    This took me to account set up

    IMAP settings used plus error message

    New profile could NOT be set up.

    So did nothing other than tried setting up a new profile to add a new account.........

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T21:09:34+00:00

    #1 - Assuming that you created a NEW Outlook profile, have you confirmed that you set the new profile as the default the next time Outlook was opened as described in step (d) in those instructions?

    #2 - How (POP, IMAP, Exchange_ is this account configured in the new profile?

    #3 - Did you do anything other than configure the email account?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T21:03:56+00:00

    Following step a) in your reply, I was able to add an email account via Control Panel BUT Outlook won't open. I checked a profile exists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T15:01:00+00:00

    You shouldn't need to select any account type when adding an Outlook.com acount. All you would need to do is enter the email address / password for the account assuming that the primary alias for this account is a Microsoft based email address (@Outlook @Hotmail @Live @MSN) and that is the email address you are using to add the account.

    What I would suggest to simplify this is to create a new Outlook profile using the Control Panel Mail app and configure the account again


    a) - With Outlook closed open the Control Panel <Mail> app

    Just in case you need info regarding how to access the Control Panel Mail app, that's described in the following article by Outlook MVP Diane Poremsky

    Where is the Control Panel Mail icon? https://www.slipstick.com/how-to-outlook/where-is-the-mail-icon/

    If using Windows 11

    How to Open Control Panel in Windows 11 https://www.lifewire.com/open-control-panel-in-windows-11-5193187

    b) - Select <Show profile=""> --> <Add> --> give the new profile a name c) - Configure your email account(s) d) - Set the newly created Outlook profile as the default for the next time Outlook is opened otherwise it'll use the old profile

    Required Forum Disclaimer: The above links are non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.


    </Add></Show></Mail>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments