New Outlook vs Old Outlook

Anonymous
2023-11-03T02:24:43+00:00

Hi

I see that the previous thread on this topic has been locked. I hope that what I have written below is not considered abuse etc.

  1. Tried to get back to the old outlook. I used the outlook.exe to start "old" outlook. BUT the issue is that I can NO LONGER add accounts even when the account is an outlook account. GMAIL accounts also cannot be added even when I use the server settings from GMAIL. I have tried to manually add and nothing works for these accounts. Functionality that was great has now been dumbed down to a level that reduces it's functionality. Have tried all the security settings and old outlook does not like any of them.
  2. Have tried to add a weblink calendar to Outlook "old" under internet can't be done. Error message is cannot verify or add the calendar in outlook. Please verify the link is a valid calendar link. Was great functionality to add a different work related calendar.
  3. The Old outlook enabled me to save .msg and pst folders to my local directories. I do this so that I can group subjects together. So if I need to review the outlook folder, I can just load the pst file to outlook. This is no longer possible
Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

41 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T09:20:51+00:00

    Justin, now I managed to start some kind of classic outlook. The revert button in "new outlook" did not work, "file not found". On windows start menu I found Outlook(classic) tried that. I still have a feeling that this is a very limited version compared to what I had before, things like signatures, send later etc. seems to just not be there.

    Version number etc is seen in screenshot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-08-19T08:57:47+00:00

    Thanks Justin, I will try it once more, but so far when I pressed the button "revert to classic outlook" (or whatever it is named) I seems to get an equally limited email client, with the same look and feel as the new outlook.

    Microsoft seems to refer to another email client that is included "for free" and here the new Outlook should be an improvment. So I am thinking that when I revert to classic I get that free limited email client. Am I correct? In same context they refer to the apps "E-mail" and "Kontakter" (Contacts), and that new Outlook should handle both. Again showing that there is a very basic email client and the full desktop client.

    I will get back with results from my reverting to classic.

    Another issue is that they write that the classic outlook will stop working during 2024.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-17T09:38:42+00:00

    Karl, thanks for clarifying that "new outlook" is not a replacement of desktop Outlook, it is a much more limited program.

    But how do I get back the desktop version of outlook to my windows 11, together with my Microsoft 365 plan?

    Wherever I look I just get info on how to (re)install Microsoft 365, and in that package only installs the "new Outlook" or "classic Oulook" not the full desktop version.

    My story; installed office 365 /microsoft 365 a few years back on a windows 10 (or 11) home pc. Full desktop versions of excel outlook etc. But I noted that when typing text the screen update was very slow, I could type a whole word before any change on the screen. Got help from Microsoft by phone (!) that explained that what looked like desktop apps was actually just containers for web versions, hence the slow texting. I got help to reinstall the microsoft 365, and all is ok with excel etc. but Outlook is very limited. Apart from lacking all advanced features (not sure if i need at home) I can only add accounts if I allow all emails and contacts to be synced with microsoft. It should be options to work directly with the mail server, but that is not the case. Also got confirmed by microsoft that you have to sync all with microsoft.

    So is there a way back to the normal desktop version of outlook that I am used to? Or shall I rather go for something free like Thundbird email?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T18:34:33+00:00

    Windows Update --> Microsoft Update will update perpetual MSI versions of Office such as Office 2016.

    For M365 Perpetual and Subscription, updates are automatic but can be initiated from Classic Outlook by clicking File, Office Account, Update Options, Update Now. I see from time to time that the Update button shows an update is available but if you check Update History you already have the latest build for the Office Channel, Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps (listed by date) - Office release notes | Microsoft Learn.

    For New Outlook updates happen automatically but you can force an update if it's not updating for any reason. Right click the Windows Start button and click Run and put this command in the Run box and click OK: olk.exe --force-update

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-11-03T08:40:05+00:00

    Thanks again for your patience.

    Checked the account setting. It's not an email account. It shows as a .PST file under the Data Files tab in Account settings

    Was trying to add ******@outlook.com email account when I encountered the error in my previous reply. I did try add as BOTH Microsoft Office and Outlook.com automatically. Also tried adding manually using the following server settings. Both methods generated the same error message.

    IMAP server outlook.office365.com
    IMAP port 993
    IMAP encryption TLS
    POP server name outlook.office365.com
    POP port 995
    POP encryption TLS
    SMTP server name smtp-mail.outlook.com
    SMTP port 587
    SMTP encryption STARTTLS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments