The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T10:29:03+00:00

    To be honest, I'm NOT switching to that *censored* thing ("new" Outlook - I wonder why can't they use version rather than "new" as there's always gong to be another "new" one day), until I absolutely have to. I had a taste of it, came to conclusion that this pretty much web client is awful in its essence and I'll stay out of it as long as I can. That they fixed one of the f...-ups doesn't change a thing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T11:10:26+00:00

    Yes, I can't and won't force you to use the outlook (new) but Microsoft will.

    The Outlook app (Old legacy one) is already depreciated and the mail and calender app will depreciate soon. So sooner or later you will have to use the Outlook (new).

    There could be multiple reasons why Microsoft chose to name this as Outlook (new) one of the reasons might be because it didn't wanted to confuse its users from the legacy app and the new app. Renaming an email client with does exactly the same of whay the old app did would be expensive and again confusing to users. Since Outlook app (legacy) and outlook (new) are two completely different application even though the functionality is same it doesn't make sense to version it as different.

    But I do suspect that Outlook (new) is just modified chromium browser opening Outlook web client. Like whatsapp desktop app, Discord app, spotify desktop. Running the webapp on a modified chromium browser comes with a lot of benifits such as it being light weight and easy and cheaper to develop

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T06:19:24+00:00

    Outlook 2021 incorrectly displays forwarded attachments as EML, scattered HTML appears when you open a file using Outlook 2021

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T10:05:22+00:00

    Yes. No problems anymore

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments