The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-20T12:47:56+00:00

    Hoe doe je dat? ik ben een digibeet en het gedoe schijtzat omdat je zakelijk al je mails NIET naar behoren kan opslaan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-22T13:48:03+00:00

    I'm using a work around until a permanent solution is found.

    Go to the control panel

    Change the associated file extension for eml to the old outlook

    Now, when I click in file exchange, it'll open it up. Problem is, if I attach to a ticket or something and someone else attempts to open, they may not be able. To get around this, you can Save As the MS Outlook Unified .msg type. Over all, a bit of a pain.

    Microsoft needs to fix ASAP.

    Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-28T01:25:21+00:00

    FYI as per Microsoft announcement, this feature will be available by late March 2024 of this year

    New Outlook for Windows: Opening saved .eml, .msg, and .oft files - M365 Admin (handsontek.net)

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments