The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-11-15T21:22:09+00:00

    You can drag and drop an eml and it will open it in a window, but I want to be able to click saved eml files and open them the same as in Windows Mail.

    It just currently opens them in calendar.

    What is really weird is that you can save an email in Outlook (like you could in Windows Mail) and it saves as an eml outlook won't even open ???

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-23T10:05:04+00:00

    I also got the 'opens in calendar' issue, my email is >50 mb (the eml file)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-11-25T21:37:54+00:00

    I have the exact same issue. It just opens calendar for me.

    When I right click on the saved email it does say "Opens with Mail". But when I click change, Outlook does not come up as an option. If I search on my PC, I go to WindowsApps but it says I dont have access to that folder (this is my personal laptop).

    I have right clicked on the start menu, gone to apps and features, and changed the default app for Email to Outlook (new), yet this made zero difference - when I double click on a downloaded / saved email, it still just opens calendar.

    Just a thought, but could this be a Windows 10 issue? As in opening saved / downloaded emails (EML files) cannot be opened in Outlook in Windows 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-19T16:51:21+00:00

    I can tell you I have the same issue with Windows 11. This is an issue with Microsoft's new Outlook app itself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments