The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T09:48:20+00:00

    Hi AleB

    I'm AnnaThomas and I'd happily help you with your question. In this Forum, we are Microsoft consumers just like yourself.

    Sorry for the trouble this might have caused. You can try changing the default apps by file type from the settings

    Right-click on the start menu click on apps and features default apps Scroll down and choose default apps by file type, then choose Outlook(new)

    If you still cannot open the file type, you can switch back to Old mail. On Outlook click on the switch New Outlook.

    Outlook new is still been improved on and as such might not be able to open the file type in question

    I hope this helps ;-), let me know if this is contrary to what you need, I would still be helpful to answer more of your questions.

    Best Regards,

    AnnaThomas

    Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T10:01:00+00:00

    Hello, thank you for your answer. As i said on my post, If I try to change the default app to open .eml files with Outlook, Outlook is not present in the app list that appears so I cannot choose it.

    The thing is that i went back to old Mail a couple weeks ago, but today Outlook appeared again by itself and "took control" (some update maybe?)

    Anyway, .eml is a standard file type for emails, the Outlook app not being able to open it is a bit absurd..

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    30+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T10:05:48+00:00

    Yeah, it is a little absurd the new outlook could not open it. Perhaps you could use the desktop Outlook app.

    Also, I would recommend you give feedback about this issue

    Click on Help -> Feedback

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-09-28T13:22:57+00:00

    Yeah, I gave a feedback on the app! Thank you for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments