The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T13:33:35+00:00

    if you have the "old" Outlook, then you don't have this issue. It's only an issue for "new" Outlook. If someone has an issue opening *.eml files in "old" Outlook, then they have a different problem than the one discussed here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T13:10:19+00:00

    I do not have Outlook(new) as an option only the standard desktop Outlook. Not sure how to get around this as I don't save .emls to my desktop so I can't force the issue byk selecting one and choosing the "always open" option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T10:46:16+00:00

    Glad someone found that workaround also useful - thanks for your feedback.

    (I've edited this reply after realising the workaround wasn't originally mine ;-) )

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-24T02:09:15+00:00

    I choosed this work around, it works well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments