The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-05T15:50:32+00:00

    this issue ! is so totally annoying, not only was it grayede out ! in the original Outlook, bit now, also the Now OUltlook ca non topen .eml . whtat hte fu.......! is that !?! I have to backup as I move my domain name, an is sitteing here hours , wasting time, to get to backup. I senddt my emails to another mailproverder i have, just to keep them, but still this service, does NOT open .eml maisl either . I n\means ! what are >Microsoftn thingkon of ??? Aret his going to be some ekstra paied this they outsourse to someone, tjust to make us pay even more, to a thisrd parrty that Msicrosoft have "bussiness " deasl with . they operat slike that , bloody fc......hell ! I ma tired of this Beta platfrom Windowdn microsoft, but PY for 365 Family ; yes I have to do ! ringht, and for licences !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-02T13:08:01+00:00

    This is a **** joke!

    How in the hell have MS allowed this product to be released!? In what world has this passed any DevOps UAT!? Do MS no longer use industry aligned best-practices???

    How am i suppsed to open or send attachements?...

    • I cannot use the new Outlook for Windows (as it's woefully insufficient)
    • I cannot switch back to old Outlook, as the toggle has disappeared
    • I cannot assocuiate .eml file types (as the Outlook (New) option is missing - (however the "Outlook (New)" app is available when selecting the default mail app!?)
    • Any forwards of attachments no longer work, as it insists on using the old version of outlook with attachments.

    This nieve, poorly considered and forced rollout is even worse than calamity that was Windows Millenium Edition. Serioulsy, what are you guys playing at! - This is litterally the worst **** i've ever seen form a s/ware company, bar none!

    No fix, no suitable responses from support, no timeframe for a fix (despite the droves of "same issues" web & forum searches )- just the same **** unconsidered KB articles responses from support, that has already tried and explained doesnt work, or totally unacceptable responses of, "yeah, that feature doesnt work yet".

    NOT **** GOOD ENOUGH GUYS!!!

    Sort yourselves out Microsoft - this level of service is astoundlingly poor!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-31T17:50:57+00:00

    Yeah, but hot to open saved email files (.eml) when I'm using New Outlook now?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments