The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-21T00:06:48+00:00

    I am SENDING an email where I want to attach an email- unfortunately this attachment is an .eml file, and it cant be opened.

    The receiver would not know how to solve for this using your solution

    (guess i cant add a scrn shot into this forum) states" windows cannot find...."

    this is the error:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-24T16:45:40+00:00

    I am having this problem with new Outlook. Even after it's been out for long enough to get this solved (it is March 2025!) Even with default apps .eml and .msg selected, my Outlook Classic emails won't open (and even if I drag them into my open Outlook). I keep getting a message that I need to purchase MIcrosoft 365, but I have it and am signed in. I have also tried repairing Microsoft 365. HELP!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-18T14:02:59+00:00

    I cannot change to the new Outlook app as it is incompatible with the multiple email accounts that I need to have together in Outlook. The new Outlook is frankly useless. And now I cannot send emails as attachments anymore. This is maddening. Please put things back the way they were!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-20T20:11:42+00:00

    I've been trying to troubleshoot this for some folks we support, and even though it's in the Contextual menu now (on MAC), the user was experiencing a loop - double-click on the .eml file, prompts to pick an app, we select outlook, but it doesn't open. Trying to double-click after these steps just repeats the loop and we don't get anywhere.

    Thoughts?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments