The new Outlook app doesn't open .eml files

Anonymous
2023-09-28T07:05:42+00:00

Hello, recently the new Outlook app replaced the Mail and Calendar apps. It's nice, but I noticed that when I double click on a .eml file (that was usually opened with the Mail app) this happens:

  1. The Mail app launches, and instantly closes itself to redirect me to Outlook
  2. The Outlook app then launches, but does not open my .eml file. Instead, it lands on its "home page" like when I open the app with its launcher.

I currently cannot open .eml files. If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it. I don't know where its launcher is on disk either, so I cannot select it manually.

What should i do to fix this issue?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2024-05-23T15:37:49+00:00

If I try to change the default app to open this format, Outlook doesn't appear on the app list so I cannot chose it.

It has been a while since this issue was reported and now changing the default app for viewing .eml files to Outlook (new) from the context menu is available. Please change your default app to Outlook new and then try double-clicking on your .eml files.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-05-24T06:56:39+00:00

    Yes, now it finally works. I have to say it's a bit absurd having had to wait months for a fundamental feature, but at least it now works!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-13T18:03:45+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T20:01:59+00:00

    Same problem. I might add that I cant 'save as' in the ... option as before either..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-28T11:33:38+00:00

    I hope it works. But thanks anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments