Cannot delete a contact in Outlook

Anonymous
2023-09-11T06:25:43+00:00

I have a standard bversion of outlook, which I use for hotmail, and am in Windows 10.

There is one email address that I want to remove or at least edit, but although it states it is a contact, it isn't in my contact list and I cannot edit or delete it. I only find it in people when I do a search.

I found the Contact in Google Contacts and permanently deleted it but it keeps popping back up. Any suggestions?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-09-11T09:06:43+00:00

    Hello TonZed,

    I’m Segunfunmi, an Independent Advisor and Microsoft user like you. Thanks for posting the query here in this forum.

    I understand that you’re having trouble deleting a contact in Outlook. Here are some steps you can try:

    Open Outlook and click the Contacts button at the bottom left of the Outlook window.

    Select the contact you want to delete.

    If you want to remove more than one contact at a time, hold down the CTRL key while you click each entry.

    In the ribbon, click "Delete".

    If the contact does not appear in your contact list, it might be stored in a different folder or the Global Address List. You can’t add, edit, or delete contacts in the Global Address List.

    If you’re using Outlook.com:

    Go to the People page on Outlook.com.

    In the left pane, select All Contacts.

    Select one or more contacts in the middle pane, and then Delete.

    Select Delete to confirm.

    Please note that you cannot delete more than ten contacts at a time on Outlook.com. Also, Skype contacts can only be deleted from Skype.

    I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Kind regards, Segunfunmi.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-11-25T19:08:12+00:00

    Thanks for the above, Segunfunmi.

    I recently received an email from someone who was hacked. I cannot get rid of the Contact address now. AND My email address also has more than one 'version' stored. In one case, it is just missing one letter. I cannot delete it either, and wondered when it appeared, if I was hacked.

    I noticed you said above, You can’t add, edit, or delete contacts in the Global Address List...curious how something becomes that?

    Thank you for your time, attention and any help you can offer.

    Jill Wilks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-25T03:47:23+00:00

    I somehow one still have an old contact in my outlook that only shows up in Mail despite me having blocked the person and deleted the email before hand and I have tried everything.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-01-02T22:18:43+00:00

    Said email address has been blocked and deleted from outlook and mail but still shows up on the share function and I don't see if there is a way to delete it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T11:47:29+00:00

    The delete button is greyed out for contacts. Outlook REALLY does not want us to delete contacts

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments