Cannot delete a contact in Outlook

Anonymous
2023-09-11T06:25:43+00:00

I have a standard bversion of outlook, which I use for hotmail, and am in Windows 10.

There is one email address that I want to remove or at least edit, but although it states it is a contact, it isn't in my contact list and I cannot edit or delete it. I only find it in people when I do a search.

I found the Contact in Google Contacts and permanently deleted it but it keeps popping back up. Any suggestions?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-26T13:23:14+00:00

    Howdy,

    After losing most of my hair, I think I have finally figured this out. There are TWO types of contacts in outlook.

    1. Contacts: these are the ones that you have personally added
    2. Xontacts: (that is my name) These are "contacts" that are "added" when you either received or send email to an address that is not in your Contacts. In the olden days, I used to call "inventions" such as these, "Gatisms" after Bill Gates.

    All the talk about maintaining contacts has been about Contacts. Unfortunately, anything you do with a Xontact will have varying, almost unpredictable, results.

    I have discovered though, that if I take a Xontact and add it to my Contacts, I can actually delete it. It is a painful process, but it has enabled me to eliminate "suggested contacts" which are related to, but not necessariy the same as Xontacts. I was then able to cleanse my contact list.

    Can you go in abit more details how you exactly did that? Because I have some Xontacts I would love to get rid off on my outlook when I use the search function on it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T20:47:09+00:00

    Howdy,

    After losing most of my hair, I think I have finally figured this out. There are TWO types of contacts in outlook.

    1. Contacts: these are the ones that you have personally added
    2. Xontacts: (that is my name) These are "contacts" that are "added" when you either received or send email to an address that is not in your Contacts. In the olden days, I used to call "inventions" such as these, "Gatisms" after Bill Gates.

    All the talk about maintaining contacts has been about Contacts. Unfortunately, anything you do with a Xontact will have varying, almost unpredictable, results.

    I have discovered though, that if I take a Xontact and add it to my Contacts, I can actually delete it. It is a painful process, but it has enabled me to eliminate "suggested contacts" which are related to, but not necessariy the same as Xontacts. I was then able to cleanse my contact list.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-02-11T21:23:01+00:00

    same here

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-01T00:43:44+00:00

    Same with mine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-23T11:47:29+00:00

    The delete button is greyed out for contacts. Outlook REALLY does not want us to delete contacts

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments