Cannot delete a contact in Outlook

Anonymous
2023-09-11T06:25:43+00:00

I have a standard bversion of outlook, which I use for hotmail, and am in Windows 10.

There is one email address that I want to remove or at least edit, but although it states it is a contact, it isn't in my contact list and I cannot edit or delete it. I only find it in people when I do a search.

I found the Contact in Google Contacts and permanently deleted it but it keeps popping back up. Any suggestions?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-20T17:26:16+00:00

    Hello, here is my 2 cents contribute in case it can help someone.

    I have spent few hours on my Outlook 365 desktop app (business account, "new outlook" enabled) trying to remove contacts from the "People" page.

    There were a bunch of old, invalid contacts listed under "Your contacts" tab and a subset of them also showed up when creating a new mail and clicking on the "To" button to select the recipients.

    The "official" removal didn't worked: every time i selected one or more contact and clicked on the "delete" button, i get a pop up in the upper right area of the window with a "something went wrong" message. Moving the the web version, the same contacts had the delete button grayed out.

    I've tried to switch to the "classic" outlook, but the contacts to be deleted were not shown.

    I've even digged in the "AppData" subfolders under my user profile folder, but I wasn't able to find anything.

    At last, I've found this solution (it worked for me - don't know if it applies to other).

    Using Outlook 365 desktop app, "new Outlook":

    • click on the three dots beside your e-mail address (be sure to have clicked the "mail" on the upper left)
    • select "manage account"
    • on the window that is displayed, click on "General" (on the left column) and then on "Offline" that is listed on the right of the column where "general" is
    • disable "offline email, calendar and people"
    • restart outlook

    All "problematic" contacts shall be deleted now. Corporate address books are not affected and still searchable.

    By re-enabling "offline email, calendar and people", the problematic contacts are not shown.

    They are however displayed under the "my contacts" list when clicking on "To" in a new email.

    Deleting search history didn't solve this.

    Thank you so much, problem solved! And a reply I could understand too !

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-20T15:39:30+00:00

    Hello, here is my 2 cents contribute in case it can help someone.

    I have spent few hours on my Outlook 365 desktop app (business account, "new outlook" enabled) trying to remove contacts from the "People" page.

    There were a bunch of old, invalid contacts listed under "Your contacts" tab and a subset of them also showed up when creating a new mail and clicking on the "To" button to select the recipients.

    The "official" removal didn't worked: every time i selected one or more contact and clicked on the "delete" button, i get a pop up in the upper right area of the window with a "something went wrong" message. Moving the the web version, the same contacts had the delete button grayed out.

    I've tried to switch to the "classic" outlook, but the contacts to be deleted were not shown.

    I've even digged in the "AppData" subfolders under my user profile folder, but I wasn't able to find anything.

    At last, I've found this solution (it worked for me - don't know if it applies to other).

    Using Outlook 365 desktop app, "new Outlook":

    • click on the three dots beside your e-mail address (be sure to have clicked the "mail" on the upper left)
    • select "manage account"
    • on the window that is displayed, click on "General" (on the left column) and then on "Offline" that is listed on the right of the column where "general" is
    • disable "offline email, calendar and people"
    • restart outlook

    All "problematic" contacts shall be deleted now. Corporate address books are not affected and still searchable.

    By re-enabling "offline email, calendar and people", the problematic contacts are not shown.

    They are however displayed under the "my contacts" list when clicking on "To" in a new email.

    Deleting search history didn't solve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-17T14:16:59+00:00

    I am having exactly the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-17T14:15:08+00:00

    It still does not work. I can do all of the recommended things and it gives me all the delete and then confirm delete and then it just doesn't delete. A box comes up in the top right of the window saying there is something wrong and it cannot delete.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-16T22:34:31+00:00

    I have tried this several times. I have hundreds of BAD contacts on my Outlook people list. Tried to delete them several times. Restarted and tried again- no luck.

    There is a notation that comes on that says "something went wrong". "We are having trouble deleting one or more contacts." Please help

    New to Outlook, I put in some contacts manually, got one email wrong, tried to delete it, got the “something went wrong, we are having trouble deleting one or more contacts” Try As I might, I cannot delete the incorrect contact! It’s stupid, seriously considering going back to Apple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments