Cannot delete a contact in Outlook

Anonymous
2023-09-11T06:25:43+00:00

I have a standard bversion of outlook, which I use for hotmail, and am in Windows 10.

There is one email address that I want to remove or at least edit, but although it states it is a contact, it isn't in my contact list and I cannot edit or delete it. I only find it in people when I do a search.

I found the Contact in Google Contacts and permanently deleted it but it keeps popping back up. Any suggestions?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T23:33:33+00:00

    The program WILL NOT ALLOW ANY DELETIONS. Where is the file so I can delete it and re-import. I went on to web outlook, that has a different data base from the past It appears that both dbases must be at Microsoft. Someone there should be able to fix this.

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T22:51:58+00:00

    To delete contacts follow Falchi Alessandro steps. This will help you deleting group of 10 contacts. Unfortunately to erase all 6800 contacts you will have to do these steps 680 time. Any body have better ideas?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-04T22:27:26+00:00

    I am using the New Outlook from Microsoft 365 and cannot delete any contacts. I want to delete my entire contact list and re-import it. I have 6800 contacts I am trying to manage with poor results.

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-23T09:30:39+00:00

    Solved problem!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-23T06:02:06+00:00

    Hello, here is my 2 cents contribute in case it can help someone.

    I have spent few hours on my Outlook 365 desktop app (business account, "new outlook" enabled) trying to remove contacts from the "People" page.

    There were a bunch of old, invalid contacts listed under "Your contacts" tab and a subset of them also showed up when creating a new mail and clicking on the "To" button to select the recipients.

    The "official" removal didn't worked: every time i selected one or more contact and clicked on the "delete" button, i get a pop up in the upper right area of the window with a "something went wrong" message. Moving the the web version, the same contacts had the delete button grayed out.

    I've tried to switch to the "classic" outlook, but the contacts to be deleted were not shown.

    I've even digged in the "AppData" subfolders under my user profile folder, but I wasn't able to find anything.

    At last, I've found this solution (it worked for me - don't know if it applies to other).

    Using Outlook 365 desktop app, "new Outlook":

    • click on the three dots beside your e-mail address (be sure to have clicked the "mail" on the upper left)
    • select "manage account"
    • on the window that is displayed, click on "General" (on the left column) and then on "Offline" that is listed on the right of the column where "general" is
    • disable "offline email, calendar and people"
    • restart outlook

    All "problematic" contacts shall be deleted now. Corporate address books are not affected and still searchable.

    By re-enabling "offline email, calendar and people", the problematic contacts are not shown.

    They are however displayed under the "my contacts" list when clicking on "To" in a new email.

    Deleting search history didn't solve this.

    Thanks bro! That was going me crazy for days!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments