Cannot delete a contact in Outlook

Anonymous
2023-09-11T06:25:43+00:00

I have a standard bversion of outlook, which I use for hotmail, and am in Windows 10.

There is one email address that I want to remove or at least edit, but although it states it is a contact, it isn't in my contact list and I cannot edit or delete it. I only find it in people when I do a search.

I found the Contact in Google Contacts and permanently deleted it but it keeps popping back up. Any suggestions?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T22:58:01+00:00

    Sorry but I cannot help you anymore. We probably dont have the same Outlook version and I am out of suggestions. ;)

    Check some Microsoft support links:

    Troubleshoot Outlook for Windows issues: Troubleshoot Outlook

    Customize actions on your messages in Outlook.com: Customize actions

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T22:25:33+00:00

    Whats funny now, when you clicks the 3 dots customize comes up and says re-start for the latest version. All the stuff that I had deleted one at a time before the error message saying I cannot delete this have now all returned. Where ever the address book file is which I am sure is NOT on my computer needs to be deleted allowing me to re-import my active contacts. Why are we limited to 10 items for deletions (most of the time only one) and no finding duplicates? Makes no sense that New Outlook operate sub standard to windows mail, but it does look pretty. I would like to see it operated as well as windows mail.

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T22:00:19+00:00

    When I click on mail then the e dots I get customize and can't get any farther. Suggestions??

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T20:22:47+00:00

    I understand your frustration when a job need to be done, it has to be done.

    Your Outlook App is probably in off line connexion mode. This prevents outlook from doing the delete contact operation that you need.

    You will have to put your Outlook appl. into a 'non-off line' connexion mode.

    To do so...

    In the outlook appl Click on the E-Mail Icon on top left of your screen (the first Icon under the OUTLOOK title)

    This will give you access to your Email general environment.

    Move your mouse pointer over your E-Mail address and 3 dots will appear (...).

    Click on those 3 dots.

    A popup menu will appear. Click 'Manage Account'.

    On this new panel, click 'General'.

    A new panel of selections will appear.

    Click the 'Off line connexion'.

    There you should find a toggle button (activate off line connexion) if it's Blue (activated) meaning that your system is in a Off line Connexion mode.

    Disable this toggle button by clicking on it once. This will change from blue to grey.

    Exit this pannel. Go back to your contact for this E-Mail address.

    Select the 'People' icon on the left handside. Select all contact menu for your EMail name.

    Select one Contact in your list as a sample test and Right click mouse to 'delete' contact.

    This contact should be remove from your list.

    Hoping this will work in your environment.

    It did work on mine.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T01:41:50+00:00

    When I try to delete a single contact on two of my computers, "Something Went Wrong" We are having trouble deleting one or more of your contacts.

    On both of my computers, I did a full removal of Microsoft 365 and re-install on to get the same message. Very frustrating using this program. First order of business is to get this working. I need to delete the complete file in order to reload a clean dBase.

    Paul

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments