Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Hello.
Me and my family are using different Office Outlook outdated versions (2007, 2010, 2013) to manage hotmail & msn email accounts through POP and SMTP. After trying various solutions that didn't work, I tried purchasing a yearly family subscription for Office 365, just to find out I still had the same issue (Outlook asking for password) as long as I kept using POP and SMTP. I also tried creating a new profile and letting Outlook do the configuration (I believe it does as an Exchange account), and that seems to work, but I didn't like it as a solution, since we're too much used to the POP way (message delivery to a local PST file and automatically being moved to the server's POP folder).
After a 2-month support ticket full of standard replies all based on "probably you're typing your password wrong" and "there must be an issue with your account configuration" theories, they finally admitted it's mandatory to use Exchange configuration, instead of POP and SMTP, since these use basic authentication, which is deprecated by Microsoft.
So I switched to the Exchange profile and created a client rule for doing almost as POP delivery did. I say always because I'm still missing a couple things:
- show the new email icon in Outlook's icons on taskbar and/or notification area, and
- mark the message at the POP folder as read
This is the rule I configured (sorry for the probably wrong translation, my interface is in Spanish):
Apply this rule after message arrives
through the account ******@hotmail.com
and only in this PC
move to folder Inbox (on the local PST file)
and move a copy to folder POP (on the Exchange OST file)
and show a Desktop alert
Hope that helps,
Adrian