Outlook 2013 keeps asking for my outlook.com password

Anonymous
2023-10-11T15:44:59+00:00

Outlook 2013, which is up to date, keeps asking for my outlook.com password. I have already deleted Credentials as a fix was posted earlier. But it still didn’t not fix the constant request for password.

I created a new profile. Same problem. Could y create a new one because of constant request for password.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-23T21:00:24+00:00

    Another workaround that seems to help temporarily is entering an incorrect password once when the repeated prompts to sign in appear, without ticking the box to remember the password, and then entering the correct password and ticking the box to remember. Apparently the wrong password changes or resets something behind the scenes or in the inner workings (possibly because of a different error code being returned) that makes the correct password stick. Worth a try for those of you who are still being prompted repeatedly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-24T20:38:14+00:00

    I've done that too. Actually, I don't even know, what causes it and what is actually going on in the background, because it is not very ... umm ... stable?

    Right now, every time I turn on my PC and open Outlook, then at first, it wouldn't even open up withou either closing the popup or entering the app password from Microsoft.com. More often I have started to ignore it and just close it from the X. It will show on the bottom status bar that I need to enter a password, but after a while, new e-mails start loading up and it kind of looks like functioning. And that is what I have started to do - ignoring the "Need password" message and it works as strange as it seems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-24T20:41:26+00:00
    1. The app password is temporary. It will still ask it after a while for some reason. So quite useless.
    2. I have other e-mails too, but I like to keep them separate - that is why I have them separately from the beginning. But I understand your point. The e-mail in that sense is functioning and it is an issue between Outlook 2013 and Microsoft/Outlook.com .
    3. This is what I'm doing at the moment =) - but this is not a solution in that sense. This is just coping with the situation, which isn't the way it is supposed to be.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T13:36:19+00:00

    This old school setup worked for me. For now, anyway. In Outlook 2013, go to

    -> File -> Account Settings -> (remove your account first, in order to re-create it)

    -> New

    -> Manual setup (bottom left radio button option)

    -> Next

    -> POP or IMAP

    -> Next

    -> enter 'Your name' & 'Email'

    -> Account Type: choose IMAP from the drop-down

    settings info as of this posting (https://www.getmailspring.com/setup/access-hotmail-com-via-imap-smtp)

    -> incoming mail server outlook.office365.com

    -> SMTP outgoing server imap.office365.com

    -> User name : [your complete email address] IMPORTANT - the system will auto-fill with your user name and delete the '@outlook.com', but this only works with your FULL EMAIL ADDRESS in the "User Name" field

    -> enter your password

    -> bottom right MORE SETTINGS

    -> tab: Outgoing Server: click on checkbox "My outgoing server requires authentication)

    -> tab: Advanced: Incoming server IMAP: SSL 993

    -> tab: Advanced: Outgoing server SMTP: TLS 587

    -> OK

    -> Next

    Now, you should get the "Test Account Settings" popup and (for me), both tests pass.

    If your OUTGOING test (the second one) doesn't pass, ensure that you entered your full email address in the outgoing settings under "User Name" (see IMPORTANT above) and check your password.

    I hope this helps someone. I love Outlook 2013, and have tried all the new versions and hated them all for various reasons.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-29T13:49:47+00:00

    Hi all,

    The reason Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 are having issues with Outlook.com is documented here, Outlook and other apps are unable to connect to Outlook.com when using Basic authentication - Microsoft Support. Those older versions of Outlook do not support OAuth when connecting to Outlook.com so all their connections are basic auth. Basic auth is somewhat degraded as the article describes. At best it will likely be an inconsistent experience.

    When possible, you should move to an Outlook or other email app that supports OAuth. As noted in the article one option is the New Outlook, Outlook for Windows - Microsoft Apps. You can install this app on the same machine as Outlook 2013. This same app replaces Windows Mail and is the foundation for Outlook Desktop long term. Most of the people that work at Microsoft are already using the New Outlook so its reliable and new features are being added most every day.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments