Outlook 2013 keeps asking for my outlook.com password

Anonymous
2023-10-11T15:44:59+00:00

Outlook 2013, which is up to date, keeps asking for my outlook.com password. I have already deleted Credentials as a fix was posted earlier. But it still didn’t not fix the constant request for password.

I created a new profile. Same problem. Could y create a new one because of constant request for password.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-02-24T12:38:51+00:00

    Just to chime in, but I am having exactly the same issue as Olli and raynerph have described. Fiddling with the registry, removing and adding the account again does not help. Removing the two step verification will solve the problem, but that is not what I want to do. After activating two step verification - the password popup has returned. Temporary fix for one "sessions" is to create a new app password and enter it... Just to repeat again on the next day. Sometimes when it pops up in the middle of the session, then as previous posters stated, clicking on the "Need password" button simply helps without enterying anything and the password field even doesn't show up - just connects to exchange server and that is it.

    Just in case - the account affected is an old hotmail.com account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-02-24T23:44:56+00:00

    My two affected accounts are both outlook.com accounts. My primary account is a live.com account which at the moment works ok.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T11:13:24+00:00

    I have the same problem. I started getting dialog box Windows Security asking for password and not remembering it after reinstalling Outlook 2013 Hotmail account on a new Windows 11 machine.

    Same outlook account was working fine on Windows 10 machine before. Now my Hotmail account asks for a password every restart. It even keeps asking after that. Sometimes it works and gets mail, sometimes it doesn't with no error message. It is very strange.

    I have been using hotmail (currently outlook.com) from browser and was happily using it from Outlook 2013. After reinstalling the same acoount on Windows 11 I started having this problem. No matter what I tried, I could resolve this issue. Why does Outlook keep asking for password and not store it even if I check remember checkbox.

    I realised if you to to e-mail accounts setting and try to repair my hotmail account it does not work. I you try to set it up again manually, you get a dialog box: Microsoft Exchange with tabs: General Advanced and Secutity. In the Security part there is a checkbox: User Identification - Always prompt for logon credentials. This checkbox is grayed out. It seems unchecked by default. You can get to this by not running outlook and using Control Panel > mail icon, account settings. I couldn't modify it.

    Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-04T21:39:39+00:00

    There has been no official responses and there is still no help... I'm used to just constantly entering the password... PITA, but so it is... And I'm running Windows 10 Pro with MS Office Outlook 2013. So it isn't exclusevly related to Windows 11.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-23T17:09:36+00:00

    I had this same issue begin at the end of January 2024. It was coincident with a Windows 11 update the one that installed AI, so I thought the update had caused the problem. I re-imaged with Macrium, back to my pre-update Operating System, and the issue remained.

    I logged onto my Windows 8.1 computer, which I had not used in months, and which had never had the problem, and found the same issue with Outlook 2013 there. So my conclusion is, it is not an Operating System problem, but it is an Outlook.Com problem.

    I conclude the solution is either to:

    1. Get and Application password login credential from Outlook.Com.
    2. Get another web based email account, to use with Outlook 2013, and forward all your Outlook.com mail through there.
    3. Just deal with the popups, on my computer, it doesn't seem to happen much once I've started Outlook, unless I shutdown or something.

    Just a note, it took me days to figure this out, I actually originally had reimaged only the Operating System partition to start with, and was trying to figure out how the problem could still be under my E:\Working Files, User Profile, App Data folder, before I made a new image of my current files, and imaged back to previous image of December 2023, to find the problem remained.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments