Outlook 2013 keeps asking for my outlook.com password

Anonymous
2023-10-11T15:44:59+00:00

Outlook 2013, which is up to date, keeps asking for my outlook.com password. I have already deleted Credentials as a fix was posted earlier. But it still didn’t not fix the constant request for password.

I created a new profile. Same problem. Could y create a new one because of constant request for password.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-10-11T18:19:37+00:00

    Hi Dena,

    Thanks for contacting us and sorry for the inconveniences,

    To fix this issue, you can try the following methods:

    • Update your outlook.com account password in Outlook 2013. To do this, go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings. Select your outlook.com account and click Change. Enter your new password and click Next. Click Finish and restart Outlook 2013.
    • Use an app password for your outlook.com account in Outlook 2013. To do this, go to your outlook.com account settings and select Security > Advanced security options. Under App passwords, click Create a new app password. Copy the app password and go to Outlook 2013. Follow the same steps as above to change your account password, but use the app password instead of your regular password.
    • Repair your Outlook 2013 profile or create a new one. To do this, go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles. Select your Outlook 2013 profile and click Properties > Email Accounts > Repair. Follow the instructions to repair your profile. If that does not work, you can create a new profile by clicking Add and entering your outlook.com account details.
    • Update your Outlook 2013 to the latest version or switch to a newer version of Outlook. To do this, go to File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now. Follow the instructions to install the latest updates for Outlook 2013. If that does not work, you can switch to a newer version of Outlook, such as Outlook 2016 or Outlook 365, that supports modern authentication and security features for outlook.com accounts.

    I hope this helps!

    Regards, Sola

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T11:32:31+00:00

    I eventually found the answer was to use an app password.

    I am connecting to Gmail and the instructions to follow are here ...

    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?sjid=6717110859781846582-EU#zippy

    I guess there are similar instructions for other connections.

    It is very straightforward, when you know how!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-12T11:59:29+00:00

    From not the community crew:

    1.https://github.com/mguessan/davmailThe Davmail might be worth a try.

    1. It seems that the 2013 version is not supported.

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/endofsupport/microsoft-365-services-connectivity

    | Office version | Supported for connecting until this date | | :--- | :--- | | Microsoft 365 Apps | Supported as long as you’re using a supported version. | | Office LTSC 2021 | October 13, 2026 | Note

    Support for connection to Microsoft 365 services with Office 2019 and Office 2016 ended on October 10, 2023.

    1. The latest update is 20230912

    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office-2013

    2023 September 12 15.0.5589.1001 KB 5002092

    4.There seem registry modification requirement for 2013 to meet the Modern Authentication requirement. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/troubleshoot/administration/modern-authentication-configuration
    Outlook 2013

    • Modern Authentication is not enabled by default.
    • Modern Authentication can be enabled by setting the DWORD value to 1 in the following registry subkeys: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\EnableADAL HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\Identity\Version For more information, see Enable Modern Authentication for Office 2013 on Windows devices.
    • It is recommended that users force Outlook to use Modern Authentication by setting the DWORD value of the following registry key to 1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\AlwaysUseMSOAuthForAutoDiscover

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-10-13T14:25:27+00:00

    My gmail account comes in perfectly. No problems at all with it. I only have problems with my outlook.com email since October 4. Thank you though for reconfirming that gmail is no problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-10-13T14:44:29+00:00

    Hello

    I'm not sure I understand your comment. I was saying that I had changed my Gmail password and Outlook would no longer connect to Gmail, constantly asking for a password. There are lots of conflicting comments about this on here. However, it appears that the problem is with 2-factor authorisation, which of course you can't use with just a simple password. So, you need an "app password", and the link I gave shows how to do that for Gmail. My Outlook now coonects to Gmail perfectly. I will need to do this again every time I change the Gmail password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments