Why are my contacts not coming up on the People panel in Outlook - completely blank.

Anonymous
2024-01-26T21:55:03+00:00

When I click on my People / Contacts in Office, the left panel is completely blank (where my contacts should be). My emails are in the right panel from having clicked to People from Email. I am not able to see, add, or access my contacts at all in Outlook now. I have in the past and I know I have contacts stored in Outlook.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T23:47:25+00:00

    Seems like the same thing might have happened to me last week. Something has changed and I see everything again. I did nothing to make the change . . . it just happened.

    I don't know whether I now have the web version or the app version. I probably always had the app version, because on my landing page I always have clicked Apps to get to the Outlook mail icon. GoDaddy told me the problem was Microsoft when I called an agent a while ago. On the left side of the Outlook People screen, I now see two sets of Contact lists, but under slightly different folder names. Top to bottom, I see these folders: Favorites, Your contacts, Your contact lists, Deleted and Folders and Directory and a blue link, Go to Groups. The Folders icon has a dropdown arrow that reveals these subfolders: Contacts, New Applicants and a link, Create new folder. I've never seen two sets of folder trees. Clicking on Directory reveals Contacts and other folder, all of which are empty. except for Global/Default Address List and All Users.

    Both sets of contact lists have all of the names that should be there, but they appear twice in each contact folder. The name-doubling is likely because I followed a suggestion I saw online and created the contact list by copying and pasting the names from my Sent folder, then uploading/importing them to Outlook, but I don't recall the steps. At the time, I saw no change and the contacts were still hidden. Meanwhile, I've been sending to my contact lists as usual (their names appear when I start typing), and everything has gone through (no duplicate emails going out, thankfully). As stated, the list became visible again last week. Microsoft must have quietly populated some system fix or new way of doing things in the background. Anyway, all seems well now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-30T04:25:10+00:00

    >>

    Appears Microsoft is trying to force users into New Outlook by any means possible

    >>

    That's because Windows Mail is deprecated and replaced by new Outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2025-01-30T04:33:02+00:00

    I don't recall any recent changes in the new Outlook app - but in Outlook on the web, you can use the new contact experience or old.

    This screenshot is one I made for another question - but in the old contact experience, you'll have Folders for your contacts. In new, it has categories instead, with autocomplete list and actual contacts together in the All Contacts folder. The only way to see contacts that are saved in new Outlook is if you add a category to them, so they all show up in the category.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T04:45:25+00:00

    It all came right overnight in November when microsoft did am update

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T14:50:54+00:00

    I am having the same issue. Until a few days ago I could add, edit or delete contacts in all my outlook email accounts. For instance, now when you click on "new contact" no screen comes up to add their info, the space to the right is blank, and there is a moving bar of color like it is "thinking" across the top of the white screen/blank space to the right. Nothing in settings helps this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments