Why are my contacts not coming up on the People panel in Outlook - completely blank.

Anonymous
2024-01-26T21:55:03+00:00

When I click on my People / Contacts in Office, the left panel is completely blank (where my contacts should be). My emails are in the right panel from having clicked to People from Email. I am not able to see, add, or access my contacts at all in Outlook now. I have in the past and I know I have contacts stored in Outlook.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-05T01:09:37+00:00

    Thank you for the advice, but it is for the classic version of Outlook not the New Outlook 365 as there is no File option, or if there is I can not find it.

    Neville Fursdon

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-06T23:33:19+00:00

    I have the same problem in New Outlook 365 (a blank half-screen, and not seeing the "File" path). But I noticed some things that might be clues for someone who might have an answer:

    (1) Something I did while following Microsoft Community directions in another Google search result (exporting to CSV and importing again), now shows only one contact (the first alphabetically) instead of all 1,206. (It initially showed contacts repeated twice.)

    (2) In "People," clicking on "Add to List" at the top generates a dropdown list of Contact Lists, with the option to "Add to this list." Clicking on "Add" returns the right screen to blank. That seems to indicate the Contacts are hidden somewhere (but where?). In fact, when I type an address in an email, Outlook shows a few possibilities as it does normally.

    This started with all Contacts and Lists visible on the left side of the screen, and the right side of the screen suddenly being blank instead of showing a contact's details. I was unable to create or edit a contact.

    The only thing that remains constant is a repetitive blue streak going across the top of the right side, as though Outlook is searching (but never finds what it's looking for).

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-07T01:16:41+00:00

    Yes, it sounds as if we are on the same page. I tried adding some new contacts and again nothing to see, but as you say when you go to send a new email you get the choice of all the names you commonly send to, so they are hidden somewhere. I still had the classic Outlook on my computer so have reverted to using that, in spite of the fact that it stopped recording Sent emails in May this year - this is why I went to the 'New' version. Looking for advice on the Internet they advise clicking on File/Options etc in the menu bar but they don't exist in the new version, or if they do I have not found them. As a long-time user from the very first version of Office and now retired it does not bother me much, but it must be a major problem for people in offices or schools.

    I guess they will sort it out if enough of us complain loudly enough, but by then it will be time for a new version. At the end of the day there is always Gmail webmail where everything seems to work as expected.

    Neville

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-11-07T18:38:03+00:00

    Actually, I've begun moving all of my group's contacts to Gmail via CSV export file and will use that email account as my main one. Microsoft hasn't answered my emails yet, and the solutions on this forum and on other website forums are outdated or offer fixes that don't work for me. I'll maintain Outlook in case the system self-adjusts/-corrects at some point.

    I recall now a quirk that might be related: Outlook's inability to forget an old email address. When I updated an email address, Outlook always seemed to prefer the old address. When you typed the person's name instead of their email address, Outlook showed only the old email address. You had to remember to type the new address, which appeared with the old address as its display name, even though the Contacts list showed the new address. This occurred after refreshing the screen, and even after closing, then re-opening Outlook.

    Time will heal, probably.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-11-07T20:55:25+00:00

    To whom this may concern,

    I have been having nothing buy troubles with Microsoft outlook AND every time my computer does an update on Microsoft update, My computer gets all kinds of glitches'. Three Microsoft tec tried to help me. After they could not help me I had to hire an outside source. I had to close my business down for five hours. They finally fixed it last night. But this morning my outlook started the same problem again this morning. I can not delete my emails that I don't want. I will not be renewing my yearly contract with Microsoft. I will start to have to look for a new email server like Outlook that does not have the problems that Outlook has.

    I wish I can find a different operating system with less problems. Friends tell me its Microsoft 11. They said I should go back to Microsoft 10.

    I am very disappointed in Microsoft. I should not have to worry about having my computer crashing every time I get an update. I now have my updates disconnected.

    Rich

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments