Outlook MacOS - Downloading Attachments from the Server (Nonfunctional)

Anonymous
2024-05-11T10:01:53+00:00

Good day,

I'm reaching out for help with an ongoing issue I'm experiencing with my email accounts on Outlook. Two days ago, all of my accounts suddenly stopped being able to send or receive emails. This issue appeared out of nowhere and has since become a constant problem.

I've tried removing and re-adding the accounts, but this hasn't resolved the issue. Now, my emails won't fully load, and I consistently see a "Downloading Attachments from Server..." message in the reading pane that never progresses. Additionally, the email previews are not showing up.
I have also deleted Outlook entirely and re-installed it but that also did not work.

Interestingly, these email accounts work perfectly on other mail clients like Mail on Mac and RoundCube. In Outlook, however, emails are not sent or received, and test emails remain stuck in the Outbox.

Please note, these are IMAP email accounts.

I have already reached out to the domain hosting providers, but they were unable to assist. If anyone has encountered a similar issue or has any suggestions on how to resolve it, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Also, I tried to attach a screenshot, but it seems as if everything is broken because the file fails to upload.

Kind regards,

D

System Information:

Macbook Air M1

MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1
Office 365
Outlook Downloaded from App Store

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-01T14:36:34+00:00

    I had a very similar issue and tried everything to resolve it in Outlook for Mac. I deleted Outlook and reinstalled it. Removed all the iMap accounts and added them all back again. And still nothing would download from the server.
    I finally resolved it by going into each email account, and using the the More Options button at the bottom, changed the Authentication to User name and Password, rather than Use incoming server information.
    And that seems to have solved it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-25T12:34:28+00:00

    Hello,

    I tried this method and it sorted the issue out.

    Go to Tools-->Account-->in the bottom left you will see (+) and (-) signs, go to the one beside them the circle with the(...) inside it, click on the drop down list and select REST ACCOUNT

    Kr,

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-06T16:53:02+00:00

    Hello,

    I have been experiencing the same issue. It happens occasionally during the day: getting "downloading the attachment from the server" and sent messages getting stuck in Outbox. However, the fix referenced above to change the authentication does not help me since I don't have "More" option in Accounts. My accounts are Google hosted. Outlook Version 16.90.3 running on MacOS 14.6.1. I am able to open a message and push the messages from Outbox by Reset the Account but that helps only once.
    Extremely annoying.

    Update.

    The issue was solved when switching to Legacy Outlook. Apparently something went wrong with New Outlook a week or so ago for Google hosted accounts. This could perhaps help @Microsoft team to find the root cause that seems to affect many users.

    Regards,
    VV

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-03T08:40:32+00:00

    I have the same issue as well. Mails stuck in the outbox, "Downloading attachments from server...." message, and extra feature: cannot see mails older than a few months....

    To me, it seems that Outlook for Mac is getting worse with every release.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-02T08:20:54+00:00

    Hi,

    same problem for me. but changing the auth to username/password in more options in a IMAP-account does not help (even after a reboot).

    Still "downloading attachments" and no progress.

    Outlook for Mac is currently not usable for me, too.

    Joerg

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments