email attachment disappearing after I reply to an email

Anonymous
2023-10-31T13:27:45+00:00

Hi I am using Office 365 Outlook.

After replying to an email containing an attachment, I can no longer view the attachment. I have tried setting the inbox to show individual messages, not as a conversation (by going to Inbox, filter, show as, messages), but it still seems to be keeping the messages in a conversation (for example, the email with the attachment that has gone missing shows up in the email chain, but when I scroll down to the date it was received, it is missing.

Can you please tell me the best way to resolve this?

I am using Microsoft office 365 MSO version 2302 build 16.0.16130.20806 64 bit

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-11T01:45:40+00:00

    Agree with you. Those recommendations don't work. I just print or save the attachment before replying now. It's super frustrating! Wasted a couple of hours following that advice and it still disappears when I reply.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-20T20:15:05+00:00

    Totally agree with you! The attachment should still remain in the received email...but, it doesn't and until Microsoft fixes, my workaround is to reply with a forward and then the attachment stays in my inbox. Terribly inconvenient!

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-10-31T14:51:00+00:00

    Dear Polly Diaj,

    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. It will be a pleasure working with you,

    You are having trouble viewing the attachments after replying to an email. This seems to be a common issue that many Outlook users have encountered. There are a few possible solutions that you can try to fix this problem. Here are some suggestions:

    • One possible reason for this issue is that your Outlook is configured to include original message text only when replying or forwarding an email. This means that the attachments are not included in the reply or forward, and they are removed from the original message as well. To fix this, you can change the Replies and forwards mail settings as follows: Open the Outlook app. Click on the File menu in the top left corner. Click on Options. Select Mail from the left pane. Under Replies and forwards, set the following options: When replying to a message - Attach original message When forwarding a message - Include original message text Click OK to save the changes.
    • Another possible reason for this issue is that your Outlook is not showing the attachments in the message list or reading pane. This means that you can only see the attachment icon, but not the actual attachment. To fix this, you can enable the inline previews for attachments as follows: Open the Outlook app. Click on the View tab in the top menu bar. Click on Reading Pane in the Layout group. Select Options from the drop-down menu. Under Attachment and pictures, check the box for Show attachments in message list and Show attachment preview in reading pane Click OK to save the changes.
    • If none of the above methods work, you may need to repair your Outlook data files or reinstall your Outlook app. Sometimes, corrupted or outdated files can cause issues with viewing attachments. To repair your Outlook data files, you can use the Inbox Repair tool (scanpst.exe) that is included in your Office installation folder. To reinstall your Outlook app, you can go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Microsoft Office 365 > Change > Online Repair.

    I hope this helps you resolve the issue with viewing attachments after replying to an email. To notify us and have us get back to you, simply reply to this post.

    Thank you,

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-18T00:58:23+00:00

    I was able to find attachments by right clicking on the message, hover over "find related" and click on "messages in this conversation". It is then possible to access the original attachment.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T19:21:42+00:00

    This worked for me. Under the "VIEW" drop down menu, click on "change view" --- and select "Preview" then "manage view".

    I then selected "Preview" at the bottom and clicked on "apply view".

    When I went back to the email that had the attachment I was looking for, I was able to click on the paper clip to the left of the "from:" name and it popped open that email WITH the attachment visible.

    This is the ONLY way I have been able to solve this problem. At least I was able to find the attachment. The rest of the "views" showed I had an attachment but I could not GET TO the attachment. Hope that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments