Outlook emails get moved to drafts folder as I'm composing the email

Anonymous
2024-03-01T17:27:04+00:00

As I type an email on my desktop, my Outlook app closes the email and moves it to my Drafts folder. I then have to open up my Drafts folder, open the email, and continue typing. This happens when I've had an email open for 30 seconds or many minutes (e.g., it's not like I've been drafting an email for 30 minutes and have stepped away and Outlook moves it to drafts). I'm often in the middle of typing a sentence and the email disappears and it's gone to Drafts. I then have to go do Drafts and manually reopen the email I was literally just typing. Sometimes it opens immediately, other times it opens and says the email is being edited in another window (which, why???).

It doesn't happen with every email but happens many times per week. A cursory review seems like many people in different environments are having the same issue. I've restarted my computer, all apps are fully updated.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-11-15T09:53:28+00:00

    First, this problem is happening to me on a Mac, so the instructions cannot be followed.

    Second, I have tried creating a new profile and it makes no difference - the problem persists

    Please provide further advice.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-11T04:34:59+00:00

    this is happening in the new outlook

    When you work in a busy job, you often leave the email open and finish it later in the day, this issue is causing me issues. I don't want my drafted emails to close automatically, I would like them to stay open until such a time as I have finished writing the email or until I close and save as draft..

    The auto close, makes you think you have sent the email. Plus it is closing and going to draft when you are still get snips of information from other sections to put in the email, which may only be 30 seconds.

    Please advise how do we address this issue, I don't want my drafted emails to close automatically

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-11T13:38:01+00:00

    Same issue for me and its CRAZY frustrating. In my workflow I often start drafting an email response and I leave that window open until I "send" the email. But I often get distracted and when I finally get around to coming back to it, the email is gone. Previously if I sent the email and the window wasn't visible I know I've addressed it and replied. But now, the draft window just disappears and it moves the draft to the "Drafts" folder so it's out of site and I don't realize I haven't sent the email yet. This has bitten me multiple times where I thought I sent an email only to find it the next day sitting in my Drafts folder. This has to get fixed ASAP! Terrible new feature. I'm using New Outlook app

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-14T20:08:43+00:00

    SAME ISSUE- VERY FRUSTRATING WHEN TRYING TO WORK- DOES ANYONE HAVE A FIX

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-09T05:22:15+00:00

    This is still happening to me and everyone I have spoken to that is using the new Outlook app on PC.

    You click respond and start writing the email. In the past if you clicked out of that email it would stay in your inbox for you to go back to, now it instantly gets filed into drafts. So I am constantly thinking I have sent the email as in the past when you press send it would go back to just the email you had received in your inbox. But now the draft disappears into the draft box and you forget about it as you presume you must have pressed send.

    Can you please let us know if this will be fixed?

    I have tried to include screen shots but it wont let me upload them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments