Can not preview or download attachments in Outlook.

Anonymous
2024-04-03T20:27:37+00:00

Can not preview or download attachments in outlook. I have to restart the computer to be able to and then it will stop and I will have to restart again. Preview stays blank and when you try to download the attachment it says "Error" Error downloading content. It is happening on multiple computers.

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Email

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-03T22:22:03+00:00

    Dear Rey Fandino,

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

    Based on your description, I understand that you have a query "unable to open attachments on outlook web."

    I have checked from my end, yes this is a known issue, it is still ongoing and was posted to the Service Health Dashboard (SHD) as incident EX765364, Users may be intermittently unable to download attachments or view embedded images in Outlook on the web.

    User impact: Users may be intermittently unable to download attachments or view embedded images in Outlook on the web.

    More info: Users may see the following error message when an attachment fails to download: “Error downloading the file content.” Downloading attachments and embedded image viewing may succeed after signing out and then back into Outlook on the web. If available, users can download attachments and view embedded images consistently through the Outlook desktop client. We’re validating whether this problem also intermittently impacts Outlook mobile.

    Current status: After further review of the reported impact scenario, we've confirmed that Outlook on the web users also may be unable to view embedded images in email messages and that both impact scenarios are intermittent occurring. We've updated the “Title”, “User impact”, and “More info” accordingly. Our internal validation process has identified some necessary adjustments to the fix which have been added and are undergoing additional testing. Once complete, we’ll review our timeline estimate for deploying the fix to all affected users.
    Scope of impact: Users attempting to download attachments and viewing embedded images in Outlook on the web may be intermittently impacted.

    Root cause: A recent update, intended to improve the reliability of Outlook on the web, contains a code configuration issue that's causing long running sessions, preventing attachment downloads and embedded image viewing.

    For affected customers to easily identify the information here, this thread will be closed. You may subscribe to this thread or refer to SHD for updated information. I will also post back here once the issue is resolved on SHD.​

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T15:50:03+00:00

    Hi, I have been experiencing the exact same issue for the past few days. I cleared the Chrome history and cache data and it persists.

    Do you have any estimates of when it will be fixed? Any sticky tape I can use until then?

    Thanks,

    Sab

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T18:51:43+00:00

    Hello,

    Same issue for me.

    I have been experiencing it since Monday.

    I must have open and closed my browser 200 times since this has been going on to be able to download or view my attachments.

    Very very very annoying.

    Best regards,

    Elliott

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-04T23:38:49+00:00

    I have the same issue clearing cache only fixes it momentarily

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T03:45:58+00:00

    Same issue here

    Its driving me crazy.

    I need a fix yesterday. We have a lot of attachments in our business.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments