Stop changing the display of email addresses to names on outlook. This is supporting CYBERSECURITY Criminals.

Reported
Anonymous
2023-12-01T19:38:31+00:00

When I type an e-mail address to someone, Outlook changes it to the name in my contacts instead of leaving it alone as the actual e-mail address.

For example, I received an email from an unknown contact (a scammer) whose email address is **removed for privacy reasons**@gmail.com and outlook displays my CEO's name instead of the scammer's email address. How and why is my CEO's name displayed from an email address that has random letters??

The way Outlook is currently displaying names instead of email addresses makes people extremely vulnerable to scams, phishing, malware, and other cybersecurity threats.

Furthermore, I am not the first person to raise this issue. Please see this same issue raised at this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/show-the-actual-e-mail-address-instead-of-the-name/09baa36a-b494-456c-901f-475032c72b8d?page=1  Microsoft needs to address this issue and stop giving responses on forums that are unrelated to issue at hand. Instead please ESCALATE this issue to appropriate party responsible for making decisions and TAKE ACTION immediately.

Outlook | Web | Outlook.com | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T10:47:35+00:00

    For anyone else having this same issue, who finds this page,

    I went to the feedback page, looked for someone who had already raised this concern, couldn't find it on the list, so added it myself;

    If you want this fixed, please add your voice:

    https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/6f783689-929d-ee11-92bd-0022484eec36

    (if that is a duplicate feedback request, very happy for it to be deleted / amalgamated with any overlapping existing feedback request - but I couldn't see anything there)

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-12-18T10:22:28+00:00

    I absolutely agree with the OP. Saying "one can easily check the true email address" is an incomprehensibly bad security attitude. The entire point is that busy, stressed people in a company won't always spot this, and it only takes one slip. A security policy that relies on human users being infallible is bafflingly inappropriate.

    It's a really poor showing that Microsoft does not offer an option to disable that pointless 'friendly name' feature. It was a bad idea in the first place, and it's a terrible feature in the 21st century landscape of constant cyber-attacks.

    Microsoft should be setting a lead and disabling this feature by default. The disadvantages massively outweigh the benefits. The OP hit the nail on the head. I will be adding this as a feature request. I encourage others reading this with the same issue to do the same. It's just a bit embarrassing and rather telling if that's the only way to effect such a long-overdue commonsense change.

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-12-11T19:58:03+00:00

    Hello! Sanjana Chowdhury

    Thank you for your patiently waiting.

    I have a word from our internal team regarding of your concern.

    The quick answer is that Outlook, and I believe most email services, will show the "friendly name" that is chosen by the user who created the account, that is how things have worked for a long time. This does have a fraud/scam avenue, but one can easily check the true email address by hovering over the identity's profile or name, or by double clicking it to see any related account information including email address.

    We have more information on the subject as well as how to spot this kind of email here Protect yourself from phishing - Microsoft Support

    If you wants it to appear differently, this is not a bug, this will require you to suggestion this as a feedback in the feedback hub app for the developers to apply the change.

    You can follow the steps on how to submit a feedback here: How do I give feedback on Microsoft 365? - Microsoft Support

    I hope this helps!

    Thank you for patience and understanding.

    Best Regards,

    Vince
    Microsoft Community Moderator

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T19:08:01+00:00

    Hello! Sanjana Chowdhury

    Thank you for the reply!

    Kindly try this one as I have tried it in my Outlook application and it works.

    To show only the email address instead of the name of the sender in Outlook application, you can follow these steps:

    1. Open Outlook and click on the File tab.
    2. Click on Options and then select Mail.
    3. Under Message format, select Plain Text from the Compose messages in this format drop-down list.
    4. Click OK to save the changes.

    If you want to show only the sender’s email address in the message list, you can add the sender to your Outlook contact list.

    Please let me know if it works in your end.

    Thank you,

    Vince

    Microsoft Community Moderator

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-12-06T18:50:17+00:00

    Vince,

    You said, “However, you can change this setting by going to Outlook.com settings, selecting "View all Outlook settings," clicking on "Compose and reply," and then selecting "Always show email address." 

    Response:

    This isn’t helpful. Please see reasons below.

    1. “Always show email address" is not an option that is displayed under “Compose and reply”. Please advise or provide screenshots to accompany your instructions.
    2. I’m assuming you’re referring to the web-based application because on the desktop app, settings are accessed by clicking on “file”, then “options”. Please provide instructions for the desktop outlook Application as well.

    Thanks,

    0 comments No comments