Configuring preferences and options in Outlook.com
The solution posted here works: https://community.spiceworks.com/t/outlook-show-sender-s-email-address-in-the-message-list-why-is-this-so-hard/735491
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I type an e-mail address to someone, Outlook changes it to the name in my contacts instead of leaving it alone as the actual e-mail address.
For example, I received an email from an unknown contact (a scammer) whose email address is **removed for privacy reasons**@gmail.com and outlook displays my CEO's name instead of the scammer's email address. How and why is my CEO's name displayed from an email address that has random letters??
The way Outlook is currently displaying names instead of email addresses makes people extremely vulnerable to scams, phishing, malware, and other cybersecurity threats.
Furthermore, I am not the first person to raise this issue. Please see this same issue raised at this link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/show-the-actual-e-mail-address-instead-of-the-name/09baa36a-b494-456c-901f-475032c72b8d?page=1 Microsoft needs to address this issue and stop giving responses on forums that are unrelated to issue at hand. Instead please ESCALATE this issue to appropriate party responsible for making decisions and TAKE ACTION immediately.
Configuring preferences and options in Outlook.com
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
The solution posted here works: https://community.spiceworks.com/t/outlook-show-sender-s-email-address-in-the-message-list-why-is-this-so-hard/735491
I love that this thread exists. After basically forever being annoyed that I can easily see an email address and just the name, I started looking for information on how to change this view so only the email shows, and behold, there is no way to change this....
This I guess proves that MS is in the spam business as well.
This addin is very helpful for outlook, wish it could auto display in the viewing pane, search for it in the addins, install it, and pin it to your toolbar:
Message Header Analyzer
Version 4.0
Or link here:https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/wa104005406?tab=overview
Security concerned folks visit the source code here and read the note on permissions: https://github.com/microsoft/MHA
Thank you @Stephen Griffin
Hello! Sanjana Chowdhury
Thank you for the reply!
Kindly try this one as I have tried it in my Outlook application and it works.
To show only the email address instead of the name of the sender in Outlook application, you can follow these steps:
If you want to show only the sender’s email address in the message list, you can add the sender to your Outlook contact list.
Please let me know if it works in your end.
Thank you,
Vince
Microsoft Community Moderator