New Outlook does not auto-format email address as hyperlink

Anonymous
2024-01-19T19:07:07+00:00

I recently switched over to the new version of MS Outlook. I noticed that when I'm composing an email message in which I am typing in an email address, the email address no longer auto-formats into a clickable hyperlink. I've looked in each Settings category on MS Office and Outlook and can't find a solution. I never had this issue with the old version of Outlook.

I have had to manually create a "mailto" hyperlink every time I add an email into a message. If I type "mailto:" before the email address, it will auto-format to a link, but it will still include the words "mailto:" - I have to manually go in and edit the title of the hyperlink.

All of my emails are formatted in HTML as per my settings. This issue persists across browser and desktop versions.

Please see examples of issue below:

(No auto-format)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << plain text

(Adding "mailto:" to autoformat hyperlink)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

John Smithmailto:*****@sample.com*" << clickable link

(After manually editing title of mailto hyperlink - Desired outcome)

"Hello,

I've included John Smith's contact information below:

*John *****@sample.com" << clickable link

Outlook | Windows | New Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-30T16:38:51+00:00

    I didn't get updated until a couple of months ago. It does not show as a hyperlink in the draft or in the sent version. Based on what was said here, I sent myself an email with an email address. The email I received has the email address as a hyperlink.

    Yes, that's great. However, we must have a visual. How many times have I done the copy and paste strokes only to have it paste the previously copied info?! For various reasons, sometimes things don't "take." We are not unreasonable for requiring evidence that the program is functioning as we expect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T15:25:32+00:00

    Agreed. The older, previous version of Outlook was more stable and user friendly.

    1. I have problems trying to create a "meeting" from an email frequently. When I click on the "Create a Meeting Request from this Message" it freezes 25% of the time. Then I switch to the older look and it works.
    2. When I create a MS Teams meeting, I cannot edit the entry "Join your Meeting Now" as it is confusing when you are setting a meeting in the future.
    3. "Book a Meeting with Me" is totally unhelpful. It defaults to a MS Teams meeting and when the location is edited, the person that originally requested the meeting with you, cannot see the actual location when it is an in-person meeting (meaning a physical address/location)
    4. I cannot sort my Inbox folders as I want. The new version defaults to alphabetical order which is not helpful when working on current projects that begin with the letter "y". It is a time waster having to scroll down my inbox to find that project.

    I like the older version better. I will continue to use it as long as it is available

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-17T15:22:03+00:00

    Issue still not fixed

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-08-20T18:47:52+00:00

    Hi, this is problematic, It is creating extra steps and is time-consuming for our management team and employees when the link in emails in the new Outlook is not working. Please fix it!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-01-19T21:23:13+00:00

    Dear Lauren I.,

    Good day! Thank you for reaching out to the Microsoft Community. We appreciate your inquiry, and we are dedicated to assisting you promptly. Our team is actively reviewing your situation, and we will provide you with an update on the thread accordingly.

    Your patience and understanding are valued, and we sincerely thank you for your time and cooperation.

    Sincerely,

    Libeamlak | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments