Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-30T15:43:42+00:00

    So is it best to download the outlook app? Does this fix the issue on Mac?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ron-6928 4,991 Reputation points
    2024-09-30T16:09:34+00:00

    I don't know much about MacOS. iOS Mail app supports modern authentication. Not sure about MacOS. If you want to try, remove the account from Mac Mail app and add the account back on. When adding it back, choose Outlook.com mail. Enter your username and password. If that does not work, chances are your Mail app (on Mac) does not support modern authentication.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-06T11:44:13+00:00

    I can access outlook see all my mail incoming but cannot send any mail it ends up in the hotmail outbox.

    What a mess

    .Cannot get any help from Microsoft

    or apple

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-10-07T09:33:34+00:00

    I am so frustrated. At the beginning of August 2024 my Hotmail/Outlook started playing up, with NO new emails coming through.

    There was only one email which popped up in late August.

    Any advice/solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-10-13T14:07:05+00:00

    i have similar issue.

    We have devices that use POP3 and have the following configuration.
    incoming: outlook.office365.com
    Port: 995 , TLS
    outgoing: smtp.office365.com
    Port 587, STARTTLS

    We are using this same configuration for a year and half now and suddenly stopped from working.
    I already make sure that the POP3 services is enabled and also I can login to Outlook Live and use it without any problem.

    The error is this. "Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings. The server responded: -ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password".
    I change 2 times the password in Admin Portal, can use the same password at outlook live. Why is this happening.

    Thank you very much.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments