Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Many thanks n0 hairs.
Fingers crossed that senior developers at MS are aware of this - looks like a serious bug.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".
I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.
What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
Dave
NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.
Using classic Outlook for Windows in business environments
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Many thanks n0 hairs.
Fingers crossed that senior developers at MS are aware of this - looks like a serious bug.
Further testing:
MS Office Outlook 2021 with Outlook account configured as Exchange = same issue.
Thunderbird in Windows 10 Outlook account configured as IMAP = same issue.
The only app which does not report errors is Outlook on Android, in which server type and configuration cannot readily be determined.
There does seem to be a new and ongoing issue with IMAP access to Outlook and Hotmail accounts which falsely presents symptoms of bad passwords or server configuration. I've been chasing this for three days (and managed to get a Microsoft ticket created but seemingly to no avail). Here are details:
Starting morning of Jan 24 2024: Frequent intermittent authentication failures for all IMAP Outlook (5) and Hotmail email (1) accounts in MS Office 2021 Pro Outlook on 2 Windows 10 Pro laptops and in email clients Fair Email and K9 Mail on 2 Android devices. All devices had been working fine for quite some time and experienced no recent changes or updates, and the problem persists after the application of latest updates.
If this is some sudden new requirement to switch accounts to exchange accounts or otherwise reconfigure them, then the implementation and communication have been poorly handled but the aforementioned symptoms do seem to indicate some genuine IMAP problems at the server side. As it is, some people are changing passwords when there is no need and then just end up back in the teeth of the authentication beast. Additionally, just pounding the same set of credentials to eventually gets through might have the potential to cause accounts to be needlessly automatically locked.
For me, switching the Windows 10 PC MS Office 2021 Outlook installations to exchange would require work but might be viable and might not be a downgrade in functionality at the desk however switching from Fair Email on Android to Microsoft's minimally featured android Outlook app would be a big downgrade. Tomorrow I'm going to test on one of the PCs a separate email profile where all of the Outlook and Hotmail accounts are configured for exchange and see what happens.
Thanks to Karl who mentioned exchange. I was already curious about the fact my 2 PC Outlook 2021 installations chose different options (Exchange or IMAP) when automatically configuring accounts and although I've not figured out the reason for that, testing this issue in exchange was informative for this new issue.
Sorry but can' speak on behalf of Microsoft. This is a public user-to-user support forum. We're users helping other users. We do not work for Microsoft and have no input on Microsoft's policies, procedures, or design decisions.
Don't use Tbird so really can't comment on this particular issue.
For information purposes, emClient is free to use if you don't have more then 2 email accounts
eM Client with Microsoft Exchange https://www.emclient.com/em-with-microsoft-exchange
Required Forum Disclaimer: The above link is a non-Microsoft website. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Hi Karl
My email client is Mozilla Thunderbird, which is where the screenshot is from. I've no idea how to use Exchange in Thunderbird. IMAP has been around for many years, ever since it took over from POP. I've never heard of Exchange as an email protocol for non-Microsoft email clients.
I can send (and receive) emails, I just can't access my Sent folder.
The server name I use for SMTP is smtp.office365.com.
Any idea why Microsoft doesn't inform their hotmail email users when their server names change?
Dave