Can no longer access my hotmail email account via IMAP

Anonymous
2024-01-25T14:52:12+00:00

I have my email client set up to access my hotmail account via IMAP, using the server name "imap-mail.outlook.com" and the smtp server name "smpt.office365.com". It worked without problems until today but today when I suddenly started getting the error message: "login to server imap-mail.outlook.com with username [my email address] has failed." - with the buttons: "Retry/Enter New Password/Cancel".

I can log in to my hotmail account via my browser using the same password that is being rejected when my email client tries to log in via IMAP.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?

Dave

NB - I don't use outlook but I couldn't find a usegroup for Hotmail so I'm posting herer.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-01-26T00:30:49+00:00

    There are a number of server names that are being phased out in favor of the standard ones that I included which have been in effect for quite a while

    As for your screenshot - where is this from? More importantly, is there a reason you are using IMAP instead of Exchange (the default)? Am assuming this is because you're using a 3rd party email client that does not support the Exchange protocol

    Have no idea as to why you can receive emails, but the Sent Items folder is asking you to log into the account. Something is missing from this description. Just to confirm, that isn't the server name you used for the SMPT server -- correct?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T23:49:15+00:00

    Hi Karl

    I've set it up as shown in your screen capture.

    Now I can receive emails and view my inbox.

    However, when I try to open my Sent folder I get the following error message (I've redacted my hotmail email address):

    Image

    Any ideas?

    Also, do you when the IMAP server name changed? The old server name was still working yesterday - and any idea why users like me weren't informed of the change? Crazy that we should have to find out by posting in a newsgroup - don't Microsoft have access to email any more?

    Dave

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-01-25T17:50:44+00:00

    Hello Dave R

    Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today.

    The correct settings for any Microsoft email accounts (@Outlook @Hotmail @Live @MSN) are as follows

    https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/fa07d536-4f27-4a73-8054-4a733e6beb92?platform=QnA

    *** as a FYI, all email properties use the same Outlook.com backend servers which is why you do not see a specific category for @hotmail

    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help you further if needed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments