I'm getting a message in New Outlook that says ""Delete copy of migrated data from Legacy Outlook to free up space."

Anonymous
2024-05-07T11:48:36+00:00

It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

Outlook | MacOS | Legacy Outlook for Mac | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-31T14:53:31+00:00

    Yes, as a Mac user too, I fully agree with this. It's so weird that when I delete emails or shift them into folders, they often download again... so I then need to delete them again. This never used to happen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-16T21:09:52+00:00

    It also says, "Migrated data is available in New Outlook and can be accessed in On My Computer".

    Is this a legitimate Outlook message?

    I too had the same question as it prompts me every time I open Outlook for Mac. I was happy to see a few months ago that it had imported my archived mail from legacy. But as for this message I do not trust it for fear that I will lose 10 plus years of mail that I routinely refer to.

    Here is how I do it.

    In legacy I created folders called Archive Mail In and Archive Sent Mail in "On My Computer" (I did this years ago). Then I applied a rule to my inbox and sent box to move mail older than 90 days to the two folders I created in legacy under on my computer.

    Because I work mostly in the new Outlook now, those rules only work when I switch back to legacy and apply them manually. The new Outlook will eventually update. Sometimes if I can't find what I need in new Outlook, I switch to legacy and find it there. I agree with other posters, the search in new Outlook is quite clunky.

    But I still will not delete alleged duplicate data.

    I hope this helps someone.

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-01T19:03:36+00:00

    My original query was for the Mac...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-23T19:00:16+00:00

    My "On My Computer" file is empty - no emails yet I keep getting the same message. A step by steps set of instructions on how to do what you want us to do would really be appreciated. Thanks.

    Dear LK Hill,

    Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to assist you. 

    Yes, this is a legitimate message from Outlook. When you migrate data from Legacy Outlook to New Outlook, a copy of the data is stored on your computer. The message you are seeing is a reminder to delete the copy of the migrated data to free up space on your computer. The migrated data is still available in New Outlook and can be accessed in the "On My Computer" folder.

    If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

    Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day.  Sincerely,Sherry | Microsoft Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-29T20:53:06+00:00

    Yes, agreed. It's not good that they haven't fixed this yet. I don't think they understand the problem at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments