I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

Anonymous
2024-01-12T14:24:45+00:00

I am trying to find the file tab in Outlook. Please do not refer me to previous answers to this question; they are not helpful.

This is the precise issue: I used to be able to change text format in email using Outlook 365 (bold text, italics etc) It is no longer allowing me to do this and everything is in plain text.

I have found instructions to change back to HTML text, but they all say go to the 'file tab'. I cannot find the file tab.

When I looked at previous questions on this site asking 'where is the file tab in Outlook 365, someone responds: 'There is no file tab on 365'.

If this is the case, how did I lose HTML text in my emails in the first place, and is there really no way to bring it back?

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2024-08-31T01:29:25+00:00

The File tab is only in classic Outlook desktop software that is installed with Office desktop software, it is not in new Outlook for Windows or in Outlook on the web or Outlook PWA. Settings are available from View tab > View settings in those apps.... but they do not have most of the settings you'll find in classic Outlook.

Where is File tab in Outlook? - Outlook Tips (outlook-tips.net)

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-19T10:28:53+00:00

    Hi,

    I am trying to create a template in the new outlook, which does not have a file or a save as tab. How do I create a template please?

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-11-27T18:00:57+00:00

    That is new Outlook. Microsoft discontinued Windows Mail and replaced it with new Outlook.

    What do you need to do that is under the File tab?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T17:20:49+00:00

    Hi, I thought I was using the original Mail, but this looks suspiciously like the new Outlook that I thought I'd got rid of. Anyway, here is a screenshot of the top of the window, and I do have a blue vertical bar on the left as well - see 2nd screenshot.

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Diane Poremsky MVP 17,541 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2024-11-27T15:49:02+00:00

    Do you have any tabs across the top, similar to my second screenshot? (You wont have the vertical bar on the left with the mail, calendar buttons in 2013.) Can you post a screenshot of what you do see?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments