How can I generate a link to a specific email?

Anonymous
2024-02-05T02:36:04+00:00

How can I generate a hyperlink to a specific email?

Outlook | Web | Outlook on the web for business | Email

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-03T14:36:30+00:00

    I am glad this works, but it is way too many steps. It should be a toolbar item or a right click option to copy email URL.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-17T14:55:08+00:00

    Thanks to @DerPritz on REDDIT, I found an answer/easy workaround!

    1. Outlook web email > Rightclick your email > Advanced Actions > Create Task
    2. A pane opens on the right. Rightclick the email icon link on your email > Open in To Do
    3. Another pane opens next to the previous one > Rightclick the Outlook icon Open link > Copy Link Address and paste it anywhere and that specifice email will open up!

    Now this will create a task in your Microsoft To Do everytime, but its fine for me because I dont use To Do.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-08-23T15:40:54+00:00

    Likely, this feature is copyrighted by Google for their Gmail app, and if Outlook creates this feature, then they infringe on IP. That's why Teams and Outlook are frequently clunky wrt gmail....

    (Heard from someone who worked for years at MSFT on the Teams code...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-02-05T16:31:11+00:00

    Hi Greg Esteban,

    Good day.

    Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist.

    To generate a link to a specific email in Outlook Web App (OWA),

    This is done through the Microsoft Outlook API which leverages MS Graph API.
    So if you are looking to do anything like that, I suggest looking into 
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/outlook-mail-concept-overview

    Essentially, when you open an email in Outlook Web, the link about is the direct link to the email. Also, MS Graph gives you this if you pull it.

    If you want to create a hyperlink to the email, you can use the Insert Hyperlink option in your email editor. Here’s how:

    Open a new email message.

    Highlight the text you want to turn into a hyperlink.

    Click on the Insert Hyperlink icon in the email editor.

    In the Link to the field, paste the link you copied earlier.

    Click OK to create the hyperlink.

    Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me. Look forward to hearing from you.

    Please understand that our initial response may not always resolve the issue immediately. However, with your help and more detailed information, we can work together to find a solution.

    Best Regards,

    Community Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-08-29T14:44:16+00:00

    My goal was to send an approval request and include a link in the approval details. Reviewers can access the email directly in their web browser by clicking the link in the approval request.

    I achieved this via MSFT Automate.

    1. I used the Send an HTTP request action in Automate
    2. URI is something like https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0/users/{user_email_address}/messages/{email_message_id}
    3. Method is GET
    4. I used the body('Send_an_HTTP_request')?['weblink'] expression to get the weblink for that specific email.

    Couple of things I observed.

    1. For anyone to see the email, anyone should also have at least read permission on that Inbox. You can do this via Outlook web or desktop.
    2. For me {user_email_address} is my service email address, I had to allow members of the on-prem distribution list for which I was building the process read permissions on my Inbox.
    3. At the least I had to convert the distribution list to a mail enabled security group before I could grant them read permission access on Outlook Web

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments