Microsoft Enterprise Exchange Problems on iOS 16

Anonymous
2022-10-19T18:56:28+00:00

Since the update to iOS16 and the change to modern authentication, I cannot get my business Exchange account to work properly on the native iOS Mail app for any iPhone or iPad device.

This problem has persisted since iOS16.0 through 16.0.3 and even the forthcoming iOS 16.1 RC. Push mail, or Fetch mail, no longer works. And when in the Mail app for the iOS device, it either gets stuck on "Checking for Mail" or it eventually fails with an error saying “Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed”. It randomly will start fetching mail again, though not through Push or Fetch, only to get stuck at random intervals with "Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed."

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, resetting all settings on the devices, and even reinstalling iOS 16 fresh and re-adding the accounts. All to no avail. We've checked the Azure AD for error messages during these failures, and we cannot find any errors.

Absent an iOS 16 bug that may or may not be addressed, is there anything I am missing to fix this? I do not want to use the Outlook app, because I manage multiple accounts through the Mail app and do not want to be using multiple apps just to manage mail.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-22T14:50:29+00:00

    I tried what you suggested, got the error almost immediately. I'm in the process of paying Apple for enterprise engineering support.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-27T19:30:30+00:00

    I had a similar experience after setting up my email account on an extra phone for testing a couple months ago then iOS mail on my normal phone started working. I did not tie that together until reading this since I had been changing a lot of things testing. Anyone else using Intune conditional access policies for email? We require intune to mark the phone as compliant with our requirements or email won't work. All the phones are compliant and reporting normally. I have been doing some testing around this the last week but nothing conclusive yet. Early reports of people excluded from the conditional access policy reported email working better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-28T18:40:05+00:00

    This is interesting and may help some others? We don't specifically use InTune, though we do have various conditional access rules, but they generally apply to everybody and we've only really seen this issue with one VIP user.

    I do see that iOS 16.4 appears to be generally available, so I'm definitely going to try that on my replica "problematic" iPhone.

    FWIW, I've still yet to be able to reproduce the issue on a fresh install iOS 16.3.2 iPhone with NOTHING else except the Mail profile, so that does indicate that some other interaction of the apps or settings or iCloud user profile may be involved here. (And this is also the reason I've not been able to get any further with Apple as they won't proceed any further on our open ticket until I can reproduce the issue on the "fresh install" iPhone.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T01:25:28+00:00

    16.4 did not fix the issue as our Apple engineer claimed it would.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-03-29T01:26:15+00:00

    I got the issue on a fresh device that was wiped.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments