Microsoft Enterprise Exchange Problems on iOS 16

Anonymous
2022-10-19T18:56:28+00:00

Since the update to iOS16 and the change to modern authentication, I cannot get my business Exchange account to work properly on the native iOS Mail app for any iPhone or iPad device.

This problem has persisted since iOS16.0 through 16.0.3 and even the forthcoming iOS 16.1 RC. Push mail, or Fetch mail, no longer works. And when in the Mail app for the iOS device, it either gets stuck on "Checking for Mail" or it eventually fails with an error saying “Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed”. It randomly will start fetching mail again, though not through Push or Fetch, only to get stuck at random intervals with "Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed."

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, resetting all settings on the devices, and even reinstalling iOS 16 fresh and re-adding the accounts. All to no avail. We've checked the Azure AD for error messages during these failures, and we cannot find any errors.

Absent an iOS 16 bug that may or may not be addressed, is there anything I am missing to fix this? I do not want to use the Outlook app, because I manage multiple accounts through the Mail app and do not want to be using multiple apps just to manage mail.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-07-21T20:21:14+00:00

    I was experiencing this same issue while trying to create a new corporate MDM iOS profile for Outlook.office365.com. After opening a ticket with Microsoft, we were able to find a solution to this issue within our environment. Initially the support engineer thought the issue was related to MFA being enabled or a conditional access policy being in place within Azure. After we ruled those two possibilities out, we were asked to confirm that Exchange Active Sync was enabled for my user. As it turns out, that was not enabled for me but it seems it was enabled for nearly all other users.

    I'm not sure if this advice will be of much help to anyone else but it absolutely fixed the issue for me. If not, it might be worth checking MFA policies and conditional access policies for your azure/office 365 tenant. Hopefully this information will help someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments