Microsoft Enterprise Exchange Problems on iOS 16

Anonymous
2022-10-19T18:56:28+00:00

Since the update to iOS16 and the change to modern authentication, I cannot get my business Exchange account to work properly on the native iOS Mail app for any iPhone or iPad device.

This problem has persisted since iOS16.0 through 16.0.3 and even the forthcoming iOS 16.1 RC. Push mail, or Fetch mail, no longer works. And when in the Mail app for the iOS device, it either gets stuck on "Checking for Mail" or it eventually fails with an error saying “Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed”. It randomly will start fetching mail again, though not through Push or Fetch, only to get stuck at random intervals with "Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed."

I've tried deleting and re-adding the account, resetting all settings on the devices, and even reinstalling iOS 16 fresh and re-adding the accounts. All to no avail. We've checked the Azure AD for error messages during these failures, and we cannot find any errors.

Absent an iOS 16 bug that may or may not be addressed, is there anything I am missing to fix this? I do not want to use the Outlook app, because I manage multiple accounts through the Mail app and do not want to be using multiple apps just to manage mail.

Outlook | Outlook for mobile | Outlook for iOS | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-11-11T02:50:11+00:00

    I just disabled notes sync and sent myself an email and I got it naturally wilthou having to actually open up the app. I think this fixed my issue. Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-11-08T08:23:49+00:00

    I have the same issue in IOS 16.1 with the native Apple Mail app,

    Driving me crazy

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-11-08T04:21:37+00:00

    If you are using an Exchange account in the Mail app, try to disable Notes sync for it (settings > mail > accounts > exchange > turn off notes sync). It worked for some devices for us.

    This actually worked! It took a few tries but eventually turning off Notes synching got Push mail working again and stopped the error connecting to server failures. Must be a bug in the iOS Notes synching that’s gumming things up, but this is a good work around for now.

    Much appreciated!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-11-07T13:27:54+00:00

    If you are using an Exchange account in the Mail app, try to disable Notes sync for it (settings > mail > accounts > exchange > turn off notes sync). It worked for some devices for us.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-11-05T13:38:54+00:00

    I’ve hit a brick wall with outlook running imap accounts on iOS

    16.1. My outlook accounts keep failing to populate and gmail accounts have to be signed into repeatedly. Tech support are struggling as they only seem able to respond by email.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments