Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-18T16:16:30+00:00

    I have changed my password , added 2 step security and it is still happening. The activity originates in Redmond Washington US with similar VP addresses and at similar times of day

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-19T12:32:18+00:00

    The problem is getting very annoying. I get no unusual activity for a day or two, then a slew of them will come and I cannot log in to my account using the mail client. How is it that an unusual login activity from an IP number associated with Microsoft can cause this much grief? I am at the verge of canceling the account.

    Cemal

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T01:15:37+00:00

    Hello, everyone

    If you are using Microsoft e-mail (@outlook.com, @hotmail.com...) on Thunderbird, then you can remove the e-mail address from Thunderbird and see if the problem will still occur. Some members reported that after they removed Microsoft e-mail from Thunderbird, unusual activities rarely re-appears.

    Microsoft tech team are still investigating this issue and I can only wait for workaround as all of you. If there is any new issue, please let me know.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-20T01:36:06+00:00

    I do use Thunderbird on one computer for my live.com and hotmail.com accounts. While I get the unusual activity on my live.com account, the hotmail.com account is quiet as it can be, not a peep about any similar activity. I don't leave it on to keep checking mail and do not use that computer frequently as my other computer which runs Mailbird client.

    I am not sure if it is indeed Thunderbird.

    I would very much like to get guidance on how to switch out of this account. I tried at one place where I use it and got in a mess. Not the fault of live.com but the site. However, this is very annoying and I am not sure if it is affecting receiving mail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments