Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-07-13T01:14:06+00:00

    I see 4 people marked "I have the same question". I've submitted this issue to Microsoft Tech team so that they can investigate it. I'll update once I get an answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-12T01:22:15+00:00

    Hello again,

    I have a new screen capture and some entries have tiny map squares in them. The Rhode Island map would be my location but I have no idea about the square that shows Seatle, Tacoma area.

    Thank you for looking into this.

    ****Remove PII****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-11T16:53:53+00:00

    For the record, I have just received a message. I am putting a copy of the message below. This is quite disconcerting, I would like to find a solution to this as quickly as possible.

    Thank you,

    Cemal

    Sender: Microsoft account team <******@accountprotection.microsoft.com>

    Microsoft account
    Verify your account
    We detected something unusual about a recent sign-in for the Microsoft account ac********@live.com. For example, you might be signing in from a new location, device, or app.
    To help keep you safe, we've blocked access to your inbox, contacts list, and calendar for that sign-in. Please review your recent activity and we'll help you secure your account. To regain access, you'll need to confirm that the recent activity was yours.
    Review recent activity <br> ---
    Thanks,
    The Microsoft account team

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-11T13:12:41+00:00

    Thank you. Yes, I had a screen capture yesterday, but I captured a new one just now. I am attaching it to this message.

    I hope we can find a good answer.

    Cemal

    ****Remove PII****

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-11T11:09:12+00:00

    I have the exact same issue! I got an email saying I have unusual activity found, went to my account activity, found the IP address and when I looked it up, it said it was a Microsoft data centre. The address matches the Microsoft address if you google it. I am so confused and worried if my account has been compromised by someone in Microsoft itself!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments