Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-25T12:59:07+00:00

    One very important piece of information is missing. If you delete your live.com alias, you CANNOT BRING IT BACK!

    Think about it. What good is a live.com e-mail address if it cannot send or receive e-mails? For all intents and purposes, it is the equivalent of deleting your account without deleting it. Also very difficult to comprehend why I cannot delete the live.com address and keep the hotmaill.com one.. Essentially, the Microsoft e-mail systems seem to be a pool of aliases that are internally and inextricably linked to one another. And, I bet 95% of the users are unaware of this.

    I will try to provide feedback at the link you provided. My comments are directed to Microsoft, I hope you do not take anything personally. I appreciate every reply I get from the moderators and other users.


    Many, many users have been burned by this immediate and permanent deletion of an alias. You should have seen the warning in the image below.

    The other way to close a Microsoft email account is to close the Microsoft account (account.microsoft.com) which can be reversed by signing-in to the account again within 60 days.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-close-your-microsoft-account-c1b2d13f-4de6-6e1b-4a31-d9d668849979

    Microsoft has almost certainly received a lot of feedback about this deleted alias problem but add yours to those already submitted. Another complaint about this won't hurt.

    Also... In another post you wrote

    "Can someone help me delete my live.com e-mail account but keep my hotmail.com account?"

    You haven't closed this email account. You deleted the @live.com address. You can still login to the account with the (now the primary alias) hotmail or outlook.com address.

    Don

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T08:40:21+00:00

    I'll be happy to see Microsoft's service become better, so that this kind of problem will not happen again.

    Feel free to post back if you have any other concern.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T02:32:20+00:00

    One very important piece of information is missing. If you delete your live.com alias, you CANNOT BRING IT BACK!

    Think about it. What good is a live.com e-mail address if it cannot send or receive e-mails? For all intents and purposes, it is the equivalent of deleting your account without deleting it. Also very difficult to comprehend why I cannot delete the live.com address and keep the hotmaill.com one.. Essentially, the Microsoft e-mail systems seem to be a pool of aliases that are internally and inextricably linked to one another. And, I bet 95% of the users are unaware of this.

    I will try to provide feedback at the link you provided. My comments are directed to Microsoft, I hope you do not take anything personally. I appreciate every reply I get from the moderators and other users.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T01:13:52+00:00

    When you remove the alias, Microsoft does have a reminder:

    Manage how you sign in to Microsoft (live.com)

    If you have a better idea about this, go to Microsoft account | Your profile, select Feedback on the bottom of the page to submit your suggestion

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-24T13:25:12+00:00

    Thank you, Don, for the information on MS Outlook. And, I managed to change my e-mail address yesterday. But, my live.com address is gone and I don't think there is live.com anymore anyway. Oh, well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments