Live.com login activity and a warning "Unusual activity detected"

Anonymous
2022-07-10T21:32:50+00:00

I could not find a more direct forum than Outlook to ask this question, if it is not the right forum my apologies.

I received an e-mail alert that indicated unusual activity detected on my live.com account. When I checked the recent activity, I found two IP numbers. One matched my external IP and the other did not. I changed my password right away and checked the activity again. To my surprise, the other IP and its variants were appearing along with my external IP number at the same intervals.

I tried to find the IP number roots and ironically, it pointed at Microsoft. I am really confused! Can someone explain the source of this IP and whether I need to do anything to stop it from occurring.? I use Edge browser and I log in with my account. When it syncs, does it use a separate IP from my IP number?

Thank you,

Cemal

Note: I am not using the Outlook mail client. I check my mail using two different mail clients on two different computers at the same location that share the same external IP number. On occasion, I check my live.com e-mail online using a Web browser.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For business

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-26T06:49:02+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion, Don. However, I think I will let that account go dormant. If anyone has any problems reaching me because they cannot send an e-mail to that address, I am sure they will find ways to reach me. Creating another alias and adding it to my original live.com account will probably make things even more convoluted. I am ready to quit with enough time loss and inconvenience.

    Is the live.com option totally eliminated, just curious?


    In your screenshot what's the domain of the "good" address. I only see ***nt.com ?

    > let that account go dormant

    Careful... we need to say whether we're talking about the Microsoft account or the @live.com account. You are using the Microsoft account to sign-in here and possibly for other things- other software you've purchased, Microsoft Office, a game, etc.

    When you try to send mail to the @live.com email address, what error message do you see?

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-07-26T01:16:43+00:00

    Thanks for the suggestion, Don. However, I think I will let that account go dormant. If anyone has any problems reaching me because they cannot send an e-mail to that address, I am sure they will find ways to reach me. Creating another alias and adding it to my original live.com account will probably make things even more convoluted. I am ready to quit with enough time loss and inconvenience.

    Is the live.com option totally eliminated, just curious?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Don Varnau 19,930 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-07-25T22:45:17+00:00

    Thank you for the additional information. The fix is very simple: Do not allow deleting the primary e-mail address and don't call it an alias. Other added aliases may be deleted but not the primary e-mail NAME. For me, this has been a time-consuming nuisance as the live.com address was not my primary or secondary e-mail. However, I used it as a validation second e-mail address at several places. I am now going through those and changing it to another e-mail address on my own domain. It also seems that Microsoft has decided not to offer any new e-mail account on live.com as only outlook and hotmail appear as the only two options.

    The other problem is that the account.microsoft.com account I have was started with my live.com address and there is no way to change that on account.microsoft.com. That's where my problem started. I added an alias to it and I was allowed to delete my live.com address. Now, I can see it in my info, but I cannot retrieve it. That's the maddening part. See below, although I whited out the mail ID and part of the domain, you can see the nonsensical nature of the problem. It is there, but it is not!

    <image>


    I know that the suggestion that deletion of an alias be reversable for some period of time has been made, perhaps many times. Doesn't seem that this would be a very difficult change for the outlook team to make.

    I don't know if it will ever be a serious problem that you have a Microsoft account named with a non-existent @live.com address. You should probably create another alias and add it to that Microsoft account for redundancy. You definitely want a backup address on the account.

    Don

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T14:41:35+00:00

    I provided "feedback" within the 500-character limitation it imposes on it. I guess Microsoft does not want to hear detailed explanations. In the end, I referred them to this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-07-25T13:42:06+00:00

    Thank you for the additional information. The fix is very simple: Do not allow deleting the primary e-mail address and don't call it an alias. Other added aliases may be deleted but not the primary e-mail NAME. For me, this has been a time-consuming nuisance as the live.com address was not my primary or secondary e-mail. However, I used it as a validation second e-mail address at several places. I am now going through those and changing it to another e-mail address on my own domain. It also seems that Microsoft has decided not to offer any new e-mail account on live.com as only outlook and hotmail appear as the only two options.

    The other problem is that the account.microsoft.com account I have was started with my live.com address and there is no way to change that on account.microsoft.com. That's where my problem started. I added an alias to it and I was allowed to delete my live.com address. Now, I can see it in my info, but I cannot retrieve it. That's the maddening part. See below, although I whited out the mail ID and part of the domain, you can see the nonsensical nature of the problem. It is there, but it is not!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments