I am having trouble reorganizing my folders in the NEW Outlook Preview for Windows

Anonymous
2023-05-10T12:16:56+00:00

I have switched to using the NEW Outlook for Windows. Everything was fine until I tried to reorganize my folders. I want to put them in specific order but when I try to move them I cannot move main folders to a new main position. It will only let me put them into another main folder. I have an order with main folders, sub folders, and sub sub folders, etc. When I switched to the NEW Outlook it alphabetized my folders which put them out of my order. I went to drag them into their proper place but it will only let me put them into other main folders. I cannot seem to figure out how to put main folders in between other main folders. It used to show a little gray box when I was about to insert a folder into another folder and a line when I was going to drag it in between other folders. Now it is only the little box that makes it go into the other folder.

Outlook | Windows | Classic Outlook for Windows | For home

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-20T16:15:10+00:00

    My company just forced the update to New outlook with no option to revert anymore and this is still not a feature. This is incredibly upsetting and makes folders useless at this point if we cannot organize them to how we NEED them

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-05-22T13:27:42+00:00

    May 22, 2024 - a year later and still no fix. Changing back to old outlook.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-01T17:09:11+00:00

    I have the same issue... There are definitely pros and cons of the new and old, but not being able to organize the folders the way I want is a big inconvenience. Alphabetical is nice, but I like to arrange my folders based on importance... This is making me switch back to the old version..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-06-04T10:55:58+00:00

    I have just migrated to New Outlook and was SURE I was doing something wrong when I couldn't drag or move my folders around. It's an incredibly short-sighted business decision made by Microsoft that's to blame. I know this has already been covered extensively in this post, but I cannot genuinely believe the lack of foresight on this change. Proper folder management is essential. Who on earth greenlit this? It's now June 4th 2024, and still nothing. £10 says that this will continue to go unaddressed, and the option of an 'old' outlook will be removed as an option pretty soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-03-18T11:05:49+00:00

    Just switched today and noticed the same issue, surprised it is not yet resolved after almost a year since the issue was first raised.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments